Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered an Inkle loom. My first Loom. I wanted to start small and was intrigued with the Belt idea.

Any Inklers out there ??

What yarn do you weavers use to warp the loom....and does it come in a variety of colors...etc...I watched a beginner video on warping which used two colors and the user decided.... he wanted 8 threads of brown and 4 threads of white and then 8 threads of brown, for a brown belt with a white center stripe.

Hopefully I can get patterns that I can understand as easy as this one was....and weave some interesting designs.
Inkling looks like so much fun for me and my Grand kids.
Is it ?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was a weaver for years and I started with an inkle loom. Sugar and cream would be perfect to start with. I went on to become a professional weaver with four floor looms. Good luck for your new venture. StellaK

·
Registered
13,837 Posts
Having looked up 'Inkle loom' I do have an inkl-ing of what they do. I want the models of looms that are wider...and may involve two or more pedals to maneuver the heddles (sp?).

Janneylynn said:
I just ordered an Inkle loom. My first Loom. I wanted to start small and was intrigued with the Belt idea.

Any Inklers out there ??

What yarn do you weavers use to warp the loom....and does it come in a variety of colors...etc...I watched a beginner video on warping which used two colors and the user decided.... he wanted 8 threads of brown and 4 threads of white and then 8 threads of brown, for a brown belt with a white center stripe.

Hopefully I can get patterns that I can understand as easy as this one was....and weave some interesting designs.
Is it ?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Start with Cotton thread/yarns. They are easier to learn with as they do not stick together. I have woven several leashes for my dog on the Inkle loom. My favorite pattern is a flag type pattern that has red and white lines on one side of the band and blue and white spots on the other making it look like a flag...I have also done card weaving on the Inkle loom. Google Inkle loom patterns and you should come up with some ideas. The Helen Bress Book "Inkle Weaving" is very good. There is a new pattern book out now called. "The Weaver's Inkle Pattern Directory: 400 Warp-Faced Weaves" Anne Dixon. This one does not have as much directions but mostly patterns.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
StellaK said:
I was a weaver for years and I started with an inkle loom. Sugar and cream would be perfect to start with. I went on to become a professional weaver with four floor looms. Good luck for your new venture. StellaK
Wow ! You must have gotten hooked :) I'm hoping to graduate to the Schacht Flip...if I can get the hang of it.

Sugar and Cream ? It looks like in all the videos they are using almost heavy string....and all I could think of was crochet thread....but I thought that might be too thin....should my warp be thinner than the yarn I am passing thru it ? or does it matter ....

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
DH made me one from a photo in a book (He is very talented). I am not a weaver by choice but it was nice to weave small-width on and I made a number of small pockets that I stuffed with herbs for sachets. That time I used my hand-spun. Use any warp you like - it just depends on what you want to make!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well I am not a professional weaver, but in the 60's I use to use a Inkler Loom for belts and I used crochet thread and pearl cotton for my warps, I never tried sugar and cream cotton thread, that may have been good for the bulk yarns I used and stripped fabric...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your responses. I did order both Inkle weaving by Helen Bress and the Inkle 400 pattern book and can't wait to get my loom. I bought it from a guy who makes them by hand on Ebay and they say he has beautiful workmanship...PLUS he includes a pickup stick and the belt shuttle. I'm sure I will be back here with more questions as I go along , so I am so glad you are here and I do appreciate your guidance !

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
There are entire books on Inkle looms. you can also use patterns that employe cards as in Card Weaving. Look that one up on Youtube. It is a very useful item to have.
Janneylynn said:

Any Inklers out there ??

Is it ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom