Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Thats all we do. My girls, and a few other relatives and friends post photos of what’s going on in their lives, especially now since we can’t park ourselves on each others back porch.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Look at photos. I like dachshunds, so I subscribe to some dachshund sites. I also like wedding dresses, so look at pictures of them. Ditto for certain medical procedures. It's mindless, but entertaining for me. No movie stars or Kardashians!

·
Registered
811 Posts
We Share photos - I don't share with a lot of people but there are a few that I really look forward to - My niece who married a German pastor and is a wedding photographer doing destination weddings in Germany, France, and England posts photos of gorgeous shooting locations - my grandson't teacher who posts photos from classroom activities (it is one way I get to see my grandson in action since they live farther away) - my daughter who posts pictures of her kitten, and her herb garden - and Rotary International which posts photos of humanitarian projects all over the globe. I limit it to just a few, but I truly enjoy seeing what goes on in their lives.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
You can follow people who make things that interest you, or follow hashtags of subjects you are interested in. If you like knitting, you can either find people who knit things you like, or follow hashtags for the kind of knitting that interests you.
There is no need to share photos if you don't want to, you can still follow people or hashtags anyway. Some people write a lot together with the photo, others just write small comments.
I think it's a nice place/tool for finding inspiration.

·
Premium Member
80,953 Posts
I’m afraid that my technical progress stopped at computer use. I get totally lost within minutes on Facebook.
Detest Pinterest.
Can’t figure out how to use Twitter or Instagram.
If I don’t occasionally phone my five sisters, I may never hear from them. Ditto for cousins. The lot seem to have forgotten how to write a letter, including by email.

·
Registered
31,201 Posts
I don't do "social media" either. I email, write letters, or make phone calls. I have lost contact with a few people who once were friends because I wouldn't join them on Facebook. I checked Facebook out when it started out and didn't want to share the level of personal information that was asterisked as *required. Fortunately I had already retired by that time, too. Knowing my manager, he would have insisted we all set up Facebook accounts. Somehow, I have managed to survive and live a fulfilling life without it.

If my sister-in-law and niece don't send me pictures of new members of the family, I don't feel obligated to knit for children I will never meet, children of people who never bothered to send thank you notes, even by email, when we did send them birthday or graduation gifts. Leaves me with some more discretionary money to donate to the local food bank.

Pinterest is a most frustrating site. Too many intriguing patterns are only available in Turkish or Russian. And the ones in English are sometimes harder to chase down than items for a scavenger hunt.

Jessica-Jean said:
I'm afraid that my technical progress stopped at computer use. I get totally lost within minutes on Facebook.
Detest Pinterest.
Can't figure out how to use Twitter or Instagram.
If I don't occasionally phone my five sisters, I may never hear from them. Ditto for cousins. The lot seem to have forgotten how to write a letter, including by email.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I’m connected to a number of digital artist groups. I see the work of others and join competitions there. I am an admin on several Facebook pages set up with those groups in mind as well. It is a great way to share work.

Tons of knitters are on both as well. You can share and ask questions. It’s much like our group here.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My daughter, who live far, far away (Michigan) posts photos and videos of my grandchildren so I can vicariously be with them daily, watching them grow up. I live for her daily posts.. Looks like our Christmas trip back there will be postponed until further notice.

·
Premium Member
80,953 Posts
maxjones said:
I'm connected to a number of digital artist groups. I see the work of others and join competitions there. I am an admin on several Facebook pages set up with those groups in mind as well. It is a great way to share work.

Tons of knitters are on both as well. You can share and ask questions. It's much like our group here.
Except that - for me at least - KP is easier to navigate.

·
Registered
721 Posts
hobbyknit said:
Maybe it's just me but I just don't get Instagram. What do you do with it besides see other people's work??
I recently joined and I agree with you. But on another thought I thought maybe u could use it to track my work for MY records. Lately I've picked up xstitching and where I was doing one at a time ive now upgraded to 4 projects. So I rotate them weekly. I was debating using it for b4 and after pics to keep track of progress. But so far haven't.

·
Registered
13,223 Posts
The minute you look at anything or follow a site, Instagram inundates with hundreds of similar sites, i.e. yarn shops. As much as I love yarn...this could result in endless hours on Instagram, just like Pinterest. I don't look at either one very often.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom