Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can never remember to consistently flip the counter--so two rows later I'm hopelessly lost.

The photo shows what I do instead. These are the underarm decreases in a sweater.

The contrasting yarn goes under, behind, and back over the knitted yarn each time I begin a row with a decrease.

If I forget to flip the tracking yarn, I can always just weave it in--either that, or I forgot my decrease altogether and have to frog back anyway.

I also find this method useful for tracking rows between cables

Attachments

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Great idea :thumbup:

·
Registered
27,100 Posts
That is a good idea. Thanks for sharing. Something I have tried is on the first row I place a marker after the first stitch. On the second row I place the marker after the second stitch etc. That is when knitting in the round. If knitting straight place it after the first stitch and knit that row, knit back and when knitting next row place marker after the third stitch. Sounds complicated, but is easy and you cannot forget to do it. jinx

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
jinx said:
That is a good idea. Thanks for sharing. Something I have tried is on the first row I place a marker after the first stitch. On the second row I place the marker after the second stitch etc. That is when knitting in the round. If knitting straight place it after the first stitch and knit that row, knit back and when knitting next row place marker after the third stitch. Sounds complicated, but is easy and you cannot forget to do it. jinx
I think that I do the same thing with safety pin like markers. I put one when I decrease. I put another at the next decrease and so on. Sometimes I only use two moving the bottom one up to the next decrease so I can make sure they are the right number of rows apart. If I have to make a certain number of decreases I use multiple markers. Coiless pins work the same way and are cheaper than markers. I also use a stitch holder with a row counter an pin it near where I need it so I don't forget to change the number.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm going to try that Chriscol. I am just plumb awful when it comes to remembering to click the counter or jot it down on paper.

One thing I do though is run a life line where I start the decreases and count the number of stitches that I have at that point. If I forget to make whatever mark I am using, I simply need to recount the stitches to figure out where I am.

I like your idea better. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
589 Posts
That is so easy good idea, I just saw on Knit and Crochet last night the host recommended that we use safety pins along the side to mark whatever wve may need to count.
On the same line, but I thought how many safety pins would I need for a sweater? lol

·
Registered
17,611 Posts
chriscol said:
I can never remember to consistently flip the counter--so two rows later I'm hopelessly lost.

The photo shows what I do instead. These are the underarm decreases in a sweater.

The contrasting yarn goes under, behind, and back over the knitted yarn each time I begin a row with a decrease.

If I forget to flip the tracking yarn, I can always just weave it in--either that, or I forgot my decrease altogether and have to frog back anyway.

I also find this method useful for tracking rows between cables
That is how I keep track as well, good yo know i'm not alone

·
Registered
589 Posts
I made a counter using a thin dowel and wooden beads of red white and blue in that order and every thime a make a row I just slide a bead over I have a small clip to hold the place if I stop knitting. It works for me it is like an abacus.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
what a great and simple and needed idea - all in one. thanx for sharing it with all of us at KP

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom