Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the United States. I get a catalog from a company in Bethlehem, PA called Home Sew, which has many unique items for sewing, crafts, etc. Please know that I have NO connection to this company, which is apparently a small, family-owned company.
I got a catalog today which featured a 20" separating zipper for KNITWEAR!

Its number is ZK2. The cost is $4.50 each. The description is:
Specially designed zipper has a loose weave channel for casting on stitches right through the zipper tape.
Separating zipper for sweaters, jackets and coats.
In beige or black.
I bet it could work for one of those hoody sweaters for a child with a zipper up the back.
Please know that I know nothing personally about such a zipper. I have never seen such an item, and just wanted to share its existence.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Many, many years ago when my grown children were infants there was a company named Bluebird that made knitted sweaters with a hood that zippered up the back which was great, as you didn't have to worry about nicking the infants neck. They also made toddlers jackets with the same zippered back and my children wore both of them until they outgrew the Toddler 4 jacket. Never saw them again.

I did make the sweater for gifts and had a sewing store in the town I lived in on Long Island that would customer cut the zipper to fit the knitted/hooded sweater. Oh. the good old days. Now living in So. Fl. there is no such animal.

Thank you for the information. I shall get in touch with them as I am now knitting sweaters for my friends whose children are now having babies.

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
I saw that in the catalog too. Looks like it might be easier to use than using a Knit Picker to get the yarn loops on there. I use a 3 needle bind off to put my zippers in. I know many on here see theirs in by machine.

Great company to work with. I've ordered from them many times.

·
Registered
12,067 Posts
Sallywilms said:
And I don't know what a Knit Picker Is!!!
It's a tiny latched hook for fixing snags in knitwear. You can use one to pull yarn through the zipper tape, and pick up loops, to knit the zipper into the garment. I just use a needle and thread, and sew my zippers in by hand.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
I looked at the site. Lots of sewing notions. I did see something called Retro Washington, to remove yellow or brown stains on old washable knitted or crocheted items. I have some old doilies my Great grandmother made. Just might give it a try.

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,439 Posts
fergablu2 said:
... I just use a needle and thread, and sew my zippers in by hand.
I don't do many, but that's how I do them.

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,439 Posts
GrumpyGramma said:
Very interesting item! http://www.dritz.com/quilting-sewing-supplies/loran-needlecraft/knitting-tools/40065/#sthash.zOP4uAHm.dpbs
I was thinking that casting on from the zipper wouldn't be very useful, except perhaps when making a bag. I like that its loose-weave tape allows one to sew with the item's yarn. The last time I sewed a zipper onto a knit was about thirty years ago. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/JessicaJean/twice-knit-poncho I had to special-order the double-ended zipper. I wouldn't ever put that much effort into something for anyone else!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom