Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I have been knitting for 40+ years, I well remember those early days.

While yarn, needles and pattern will generally suffice..there are tools that you can make knitting or crocheting "easier" for novices. I've listed some below:

Good lighting! I now use an adjustable halogen lamp on a table next to my sofa...but make sure you have good lighting to work in. An old gooseneck desk lamp or one of those little clip on reading lamps can really be Heaven sent.

Note pad and pen/pencil...to keep track of rows, increases, decreases, etc. My mother was a great believer in reusing paper grocery bags and kept one or part of one handy when she knitted. Nothing fancy is needed.

Stitch markers! So versatile, so important. You can fashion them from scraps of contrasting yarn, pieces of bread bag twist ties...or just little plastic rings from the drapery department of your fabric store. I like to make stitch markers as gifts for good friends and family by using "jump" rings or split rings from the craft store and I add a charm for fun or a bead..the rings themselves are cheap and work just as well without a bead. If you opt to use scraps of yarn..remember that some yarns will shed dye and could stain your project.

Accurate tape measure or ruler..I couldn't and wouldn't knit without one handy.

Sharp scissors!

Yarn bag! Yes this sounds extravagant...it doesn't need to be! A large zip lock bag will work! You want to protect your project from dust, insects...aromas and pet hair. When people think of "aromas" they think of smoking..but your yarn or project can pick up the aromas of cooking, perfumes, aftershave, etc..

Since you want to keep track of where you are with a pattern, you can invest in a magnetic board and strips...or a roll of "highlighter tape" will work just as well. I'm currently working on a very involved cabled cape...I've been using the same piece of highlighter tape for weeks..it keeps me sane!

plastic sheet protectors! I know this sounds very strange...but a pattern that has been placed in one of these will not only last forever..but can be preserved, placed in a binder, etc.. A small package of them is a worth while investment.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( Thank you for those hints, Courier!!

Donna Rae ))))))

courier770 said:
Although I have been knitting for 40+ years, I well remember those early days.

While yarn, needles and pattern will generally suffice..there are tools that you can make knitting or crocheting "easier" for novices. I've listed some below:

Good lighting! I now use an adjustable halogen lamp on a table next to my sofa...but make sure you have good lighting to work in. An old gooseneck desk lamp or one of those little clip on reading lamps can really be Heaven sent.

Note pad and pen/pencil...to keep track of rows, increases, decreases, etc. My mother was a great believer in reusing paper grocery bags and kept one or part of one handy when she knitted. Nothing fancy is needed.

Stitch markers! So versatile, so important. You can fashion them from scraps of contrasting yarn, pieces of bread bag twist ties...or just little plastic rings from the drapery department of your fabric store. I like to make stitch markers as gifts for good friends and family by using "jump" rings or split rings from the craft store and I add a charm for fun or a bead..the rings themselves are cheap and work just as well without a bead. If you opt to use scraps of yarn..remember that some yarns will shed dye and could stain your project.

Accurate tape measure or ruler..I couldn't and wouldn't knit without one handy.

Sharp scissors!

Yarn bag! Yes this sounds extravagant...it doesn't need to be! A large zip lock bag will work! You want to protect your project from dust, insects...aromas and pet hair. When people think of "aromas" they think of smoking..but your yarn or project can pick up the aromas of cooking, perfumes, aftershave, etc..

Since you want to keep track of where you are with a pattern, you can invest in a magnetic board and strips...or a roll of "highlighter tape" will work just as well. I'm currently working on a very involved cabled cape...I've been using the same piece of highlighter tape for weeks..it keeps me sane!

plastic sheet protectors! I know this sounds very strange...but a pattern that has been placed in one of these will not only last forever..but can be preserved, placed in a binder, etc.. A small package of them is a worth while investment.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi, great tips...thanks.
I also have a couple of tips to add. I use the plastic netting from the liquor bottles (that they put on the bottle when you buy more than one), I put it around a ball of wool & it keeps it from unravelling. Also I save the plastic see-through bags that you get when you buy blankets. They usually have zippers & I keep my knitting projects in them & you can easily see what it is & it is well protected.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( Plastic rings off what?

If off milk bottles, etc., use a craft knife to cut off the neck; Wiggle off.

Donna Rae )))))))))
ibe1946 said:
Ahh, "stitch markers"....

Can anyone tell me how to remove those plastic rings, short of cutting them off?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Also, does anyone know where I can find cute socks, as in short athletic footsies? I would like to knit some very soft sockies for sensitive feet. Also ideas of best type of yarns to use will be appreciated. I'm fairly new at all this stuff, haven't knitted socks since I was a child. Need lots of help and ideas :) ...

·
Registered
121 Posts
She is absolutely right about the sheet protectors. They are invaluable. Not only do they protect your pattern, you can use a super sticky post it note to follow a pattern and make notes right on the post it, when you are done, stick the note to the pattern and put it back in the protector, and if you have knitted a swatch you can store it in there also. Store the Sheet protectors in notebooks, and eventually you will have one for each item ie hats, sweaters etc.

Another thing I use for stitch markers are the split metal rings, they come in a variety of sizes, you can find them in any craft store in the jewelry making aisle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you are talking about the plastic rings used as stitch markers, you should be taking them off each row by slipping them off one needle to the other. You shouldn't have them attached to your project....or use split ring markers if you need one attached to something...they won't be stuck on your project either as they have a split in them to take them off after use.
I think this is what you meant by taking them off....

·
Registered
632 Posts
A long, long time ago - when I first heard of stitch markers, I was confused, too. You actually put the marker on your needle - between the stitches - and move them each row. Markers for crochet work differently and must be detachable. I have a love-hate relationship with stitch markers!

·
Registered
648 Posts
tamayaya said:
If you are talking about the plastic rings used as stitch markers, you should be taking them off each row by slipping them off one needle to the other. You shouldn't have them attached to your project....or use split ring markers if you need one attached to something...they won't be stuck on your project either as they have a split in them to take them off after use.
Tamayaya,
Thanks so much for your helpful response. I GOT IT, lol! I was confused, thinking that the rings' function was to count rows, duh!!! Now it makes sense and I feel very silly. That's why they are called "stitch markers," not "stitch counters."

·
Registered
47 Posts
ibe1946 said:
tamayaya said:
Tamayaya,
Thanks so much for your helpful response. I GOT IT, lol! I was confused, thinking that the rings' function was to count rows, duh!!! Now it makes sense and I feel very silly. That's why they are called "stitch markers," not "stitch counters."
Not to worry...we all make countless mistakes while learning new things...If I had a penny for all my mistakes..lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom