Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been saving for a remanufactured IPad2 and finally have enough. But now all my family is trying to convince me to get a kindle. Had read as many posts as I can find where you wonderful people have discussed this and am still not sure. Why would I want to pay twice as much for an IPad? What does the IPad do that the others can't? Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had posted this same question several months ago - only it was due to my laptop having problems. Really, the only reason for the iPad is if you want to get online, check emails, get onto this knitting sight. However, for reading and keeping your knitting patterns (pdf) then the Kindle is ideal - more than ideal since is not back-lit (they say that the back lighting of the computer screen is bad for one's sleeping).

Now that my laptop as been attended to by an "apple genius" I am back to using it.... but I still wonder "which kindle would I get if I chose to get one ... obviously not one that has a lit screen"

good luck

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I have an iPad and I would buy another one. I would not buy a Kindle or a Nook. I downloaded the Kindle and Nook app onto my iPad. I like being able to get my e-mail, patterns, and Kindle on my iPad. I take my iPad on trips. It is wonderful! I love the back light, because I can read when the lights are Turned off. I store my patterns on my iPad, and I can pull up YouTube when I need help while I am knitting. It is so much more versatile than a Kindle or Nook. That is just my opinion. Good luck deciding! ;0)

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I have a Kindle Fire and I get online to surf the net, check my email and download stuff to it all the time! I'm finding I'm using it more and more instead of my Samsung Galaxy tablet because of the size, it fits in my purse better yet is still plenty big enough to see things well.

I've never had an iPad and don't know what the fascination of them is but I do know I can do all the things that have been mentioned on my Kindle Fire and it cost way less than an iPad.

Just my 2¢

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I have a MacBook and an Iphone but wanted an IPad as I assumed it would be lighter and easier to take around. I got a craving for the IPad after getting my Iphone as I use the phone for so much. I read the newspaper, check weather even bank and read books on it My Iphone does pretty much what an Ipad can do but it is smaller. After handling my brother's Ipad I realize it weighs almost as much as my MacBook. So I think I will pass for now. I will instead get a Smartphone that is a size between both the Iphone and a tablet. I have seen a couple so far that I like and it would be much cheaper.

There are some great smaller tablets out there for $179

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
read there is some new information coming out with Kindle. They have something new...or an update.. in time for the Christmas season. Also something coming with iPad ...maybe smaller to compete with Kindle. Guess this calls for more research.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Poodlemom Too said:
I have been saving for a remanufactured IPad2 and finally have enough. But now all my family is trying to convince me to get a kindle. Had read as many posts as I can find where you wonderful people have discussed this and am still not sure. Why would I want to pay twice as much for an IPad? What does the IPad do that the others can't? Thanks everyone!!
Don't know your age, but I'm pushing 67 hard, and I really enjoy using my iPad. I like the size, the convenience, the intuitive way it works, the apps...everything! If I had it to do over I would spend a little more and get one with more memory. I have a lot of pictures on mine and a lot of apps, too. I have already had to take some of them off to save memory because I only bought the 16g size. Here are some things I use my iPad for:

Photos--I have several hundred stored on it.
Reading--I have the Nook app, the Kindle app, and iBooks.
Listening-- I listen to books with the Audible.com app and the music I like with Pandora.
Movies--Netflix, rental from iTunes and Amazon.com.
Videos--YouTube.
Email and Internet--the Safari browser comes on it and I have Chrome too.
Knitting patterns--I use the GoodReader app for that.
Also, I check the weather report on Weatherbug, follow the Braves on MLB At Bat, look up information on Wikipedia, shop at my favorite stores online --Sears, Penneys, Kohls, Belk's, and Amazon. I also get most of my yarn and knitting supplies at KnitPicks and other online stores. And of course I keep up with Knitting Paradise on my iPad too! I'm using it to write this to you, from my comfy bed, in the dark. I bought the magnetically-attached front cover for my iPad and it folds back into an easel.
So...do I love my iPad? You bet I do!
BTW, Apple is rumored to be introducing an iPad with a 7" screen in a month or two, so if the size of a Kindle is a factor, Google "iPad Mini," and read the buzz. It might be worth waiting for.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I don't have any of the electronics on the market so only know what I read about them... but...

Just yesterday I read (in a mag) that scientists are working on an app for people who own Smartphones. This app will enable folks all over the world to report on cosmic rays so they can be studied in depth. This is considered to be a necessity because when cosmic rays hit our atmosphere they break up into protons and neutrons and has something to do with nuclear energy.

If I ever do get an advanced electronic, I think I'll go for a Smartphone.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
christine4321 said:
I have a MacBook and an Iphone but wanted an IPad as I assumed it would be lighter and easier to take around. I got a craving for the IPad after getting my Iphone as I use the phone for so much. I read the newspaper, check weather even bank and read books on it My Iphone does pretty much what an Ipad can do but it is smaller. After handling my brother's Ipad I realize it weighs almost as much as my MacBook. So I think I will pass for now. I will instead get a Smartphone that is a size between both the Iphone and a tablet. I have seen a couple so far that I like and it would be much cheaper.

There are some great smaller tablets out there for $179
The iPad by itself only weighs 23 ounces, but if your brother's is in a case that would make it heavier. I have a clear silicone "skin" on the back of mine (hardly noticeable) and the magnetic cover that puts the iPad to sleep when you close it on the front, and I throw it in my purse very often to listen to audiobooks when I'm driving. It weighs very little.
Also, Google "iPad Mini" to see what Apple has in store for us next. It might be just what you want.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I love my ipad. I purchased my parents one(they are in thier 80's) so i could face time them, which I do daily. This lets me see how they are doing. If they are sick i can see that , i can talk to mom and watch her knit. It is amazingly simply, a touch of the app and they are there, so simple even a a techno dummy like me can do it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all. I think I will stick with the IPad which is what I saved for. Thanks especially to Mzmom 1 for taking the time to tell me all the things you can do on the IPad. You ladies are really great!! Have a happy holiday weekend!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the Kindle Fire and just love it. And you can get online if you have a wifi connection. It also has a USB connector cable to hook it up to your computer (which the iPad does not). The Fire is way cheaper than the iPad and does everything I want it to do. Maggie

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have both a iPad and a Kindle Fire. I do everything on my iPad. I had a early kindle and loved it. The Kindle Fire is OK but liked my first one better. Wish I hadn't dropped it. I use my IPad for everything. It has a kindle app which syncs with the Kindle. Also much easier to see the functions on the web. Other than reading I very seldom use my Kindle. I store my patterns in iBooks.

·
Registered
558 Posts
OK, I am spoiled. I may be an almost 66 year old grandma, but I have a laptop, iPad, Kindle Fire, and iPhone. I like them all for specific reasons, but if I had to choose, I would choose the iPad. Not to small, not too big. Can read books, love using it for storing patterns, and reading patterns is great as I can just use my fingers to spread out the type and make it as big as I want and look at one small section of the pattern at a time.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I have an ASUS tablet, about the same size as an IPad. It has a micro sd slot, so you can dowload pictures easily or upgrade the memory.
It's great for patterns, as I can add notes to it. I use it as a reader and browser as well. Can download books in Kindle, PDF or EPUB form. It was the same price as an IPad 2. Got the cover, screen protector and stylus from EBay.
I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
MaggieFL45 said:
I have the Kindle Fire and just love it. It also has a USB connector cable to hook it up to your computer (which the iPad does not). Maggie
Excuse me, I just want to update you on something here...the charging cable for the iPad IS a usb connector. You plug it into the charging block which goes into the electrical outlet, or you can plug it into the computer to sync with iTunes.

·
Registered
8,310 Posts
Poodlemom Too said:
Have both, the iPad and the Findle Fire. They are different, I like both of them, but for different things, if I can have only one, mind you, they were both gifts, I would have the iPad. Can do anything that the Kindle does, but faster and easier, and a lot more. I will buy an iPad when this one gets obsolete

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom