Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a lot of Aplaca yarn from Smiley's when they had a sale a month ago. I'm going to be a grandma for the first time later this year & have started making baby blankets & baby clothes are next; is it o.k. to knit w/Alpaca for the baby? If so, is hand washing or delicate cycle machine washing ok & do u just lay it flat for drying or can u put in on delicate for a short time in the dryer? Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Well I suppose it depends on the percentage of alpaca in the yarn. Sadly there is a lot of "cheap" Alpaca on the market that is largely acrylic.

Acrylics should NEVER be used for infants or toddlers as it doesn't meet fire safety standards for sleepweare...face it, everything an infant or toddler wears is sleepwear.

Alpaca itself is a wonderful fiber that offers warmth, is often considered "hypo allergenic" and doesn't have the safety concern of acrylics and doesn't contribute to pollution like man made fibers. It does require more care for laundering though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom