Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought Lion Brand Pound of Love to make a pocket shawl and am trying to get a chain done by using the foundation chain method - it is not working very well as the yarn seems very rough and my crochet hook does not slide very easily - has anyone experienced this with the yarn? I have also tried to just chain but my stitches seem very inconsistent and I keep cutting off the yarn and starting over - it is getting too fuzzy to use and my brain is also getting fuzzy.....maybe this wasn't a good idea.

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
I've actually had pretty good luck with Pound of Love, but I know some people who do not like it at all. Have you tried doing a "single crochet foundation row"?

Also what material is you crochet hook made from? I use mostly aluminum hooks (Clover Amour) for regular crochet and they worked well with the Pound of Love. I sometimes use a bamboo tunisian hook and it definitely has more drag than the aluminum one (not a ton more, but I notice it).

·
Registered
173 Posts
I bought Lion Brand Pound of Love to make a pocket shawl and am trying to get a chain done by using the foundation chain method - it is not working very well as the yarn seems very rough and my crochet hook does not slide very easily - has anyone experienced this with the yarn? I have also tried to just chain but my stitches seem very inconsistent and I keep cutting off the yarn and starting over - it is getting too fuzzy to use and my brain is also getting fuzzy.....maybe this wasn't a good idea.
Try using a piece of untreated wool nap, like just sheared off the sheep. Still full of the natural lanolin to polish your hook. It help to allow a smother glide and less splitting.

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
I agree with Ellebelle, I e used it quite a bit with never an issue at all. Has your hook possibly built up a residue? How is the humidity? That can change your skin. I used to use Udder Cream on my hands, Dollar Tree carries a similar product, but I discovered a lotion from Victoria's Secret that makes my hands silky soft with no greasy residue and half a pump does both sides of my hands and up to my elbows. Also try the foundation sc or dc instead of a chain, DC is actually easier if you are new to it. Liquid Bottle Glass bottle Fluid Drink

·
Registered
20,080 Posts
I've not bought PofL in ages so it might have changed since I last used it. I suspect the material your hook is made from is a major contributor. I almost exclusively use aluminum hooks. Also I'm not sure what you mean by the foundation chain method. Do you mean foundation sc?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
What about trying a crochet hook made of a different material? For example I once had some yarn that literally disintegrated when I tried using a metal hook, changed over to bamboo, problem solved! Just a thought!

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the replies. My hook was a new one as I had to get a set of larger hooks and I did have an old aluminum one, size K, that I tried. Guess I will tackle it again tomorrow and maybe concentrate on easing up on the tension.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top Bottom