Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am i doing somthing wrong or does it take a whole lot longer to knit a garment than to crochet it. ive crocheted for a few years but thought i would try to knit, ive managed a top down sleaveless easy baby cardigan (mariama mel)pattern i think, but took about 5 days to complete. my question is. will i get quicker or is knitting slower in general? i find knit very tedious , but i like the finished look. im in 2 minds if to carry on or go back to just crocheting.
thanks for looking

·
Registered
488 Posts
It probably depends on the person, but for me crochet is much much faster. However, having said that I personally think knitting produces a much prettier fabric with good drape. I do wish knitting, for me, was faster as I seem to take forever to complete anything. Hang in there and alternate between crochet & knitting for a feeling of accomplishment.

·
Registered
592 Posts
With knitting you are knitting a single stitch, where as in crocheting you can DC & TC, which can make crocheting faster. But also as you have said the knitted finished look is appealing. I do both crocheting and knitting but I really love to knit sweaters, shawls and socks just for that appealing finish. Try different patterns with different stitch patterns such as cables, there are many to choose from.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Crochet is faster. I do both but prefer knit. But what is the rush? I find knitting very relaxing .
You made a baby cardigan in 5 days. I think that's pretty fast.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think the KP nation has said it. Knitting is slower. It makes For-ev-er to knit a blanket. Even so, I prefer the greater option in knitting patterns and the look of the final garment when it is knitted. You just don't see that many crochet patterns that don't look bulky or "made at home"--not that that is bad, its just too folksy for my particular style.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok thanks all. not somthing im doing wrong then thankfully, i will keep trying differnt knits, only can do the basics so far. if i need somthing quick ill crochet i guess.
but i do agree it is more satisfying seeing a knit item done and the way it looks, more of a store bought item i guess.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
The object is not how fast one technique is than the other. Each one has its beauty and place in your life. Crocheting fills one area and knitting another, like comparing apples and oranges, would you give up one for the other for the ease in eating fruit. Yes, you would stop to peel the orange but doesn't it satisfy your desire for an orange? An apple could not take the place of an orange and neither can knitting or crocheting take the place of each other. Variety is the spice of life, we have room for both, take the time to enjoy both skills and the results.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom