Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

is there such a thing as knit in fur? I know I can get the fur trim that you stitch on after the item is complete, but knit in fur would be so much easier to deal with.

Any clues?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
There is a lady that I read about that buys old fur coats from thrift shops and cuts them into strips and knits with them --- I think here in Canada --- but her items are very pricey (as they should be!) I guess if you want you can knit anything

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
And, you could always buy the fake fur fabric, which is usually created on a knit-stretchy background, which you can cut into strips and knit with like they do with recycling t-shirt fabric...

Or use some of the fun-fur type eyelash yarns...

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Frogger said:
There is a lady that I read about that buys old fur coats from thrift shops and cuts them into strips and knits with them --- I think here in Canada --- but her items are very pricey (as they should be!) I guess if you want you can knit anything
Yes, Barbara (oops I forget her last name) of "fur yarns". It is here in Canada - Ontario somewhere. I haven't checked her website for ages...

A friend of mine knitted a scarf from her yarn/kit a couple years ago - found a lot of errors in the pattern, and had to order extra yarn to complete the scarf...

·
Registered
285 Posts
There's shop in a very exclusive section of town that sells many different types of sheep skin and fur products. They have several ladies vests and jackets that are strips of fur knitted. The patterns are very interesting as they change colors of the fur like we change colors of yarn. They are VERY expensive. I go to look & touch, then leave before I get attached. :->

After writing the above comment I just had to check out the website. Here is the link to the knitted rabbit fur jacket. I have seen these and loved them in the store. This is the softest sweater I have ever touched.

http://www.overland.com/Products/NewNotable-590/HotBrands-1003/OverlandCoats-8405/WomensLuluKnittedRabbitFurJacket/PID-12701.aspx

·
Registered
23 Posts
Paula Lishman is the creator/designer in Ontario, known for her knitting with fur. When you search her name - it will also give you a list of stores that carry her yarn. It's priced by weight and fairly easy to work with - generally to achieve a fur "ruff" look (for a hat or cuff edge) you alternate rows with the fur and a cotton yarn.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There was a book published several years ago called "Knitting with Dog Hair (subtitle: 'Better a sweater from a dog you know and love than a sheep you never met'. Depends on what sort of dog you have and what its coat is like, I guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom