Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a baby afgan using the size 15 needle alternating with the size 5 needle, looks kinda ruffled when you get done. Finished it, very pretty, accident while I was out of the room and had to wash it.Used cold water, dried in the dryer. Red heart yarn. No ruffle anymore and its limp. Looks like its been washed many times.I did NOT use any fabric softener or fabric softener sheets, per advice on the forum.Thought about washing it again in hot water and drying it on hot to see if it would shrink up some. Made for new baby in the family. Wouldnt even donate it the way it looks. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
I'm so sorry, but Red Heart is acrylic yarn so I don't think theres anything you can do to change its appearance now.

That is pretty much how I wash anything that's acrylic and how I'd tell any giftees how to wash/dry their gifts. So the person you made it for would probably do the same. I guess you can take comfort that it happened now, before you gifted it, rather then to the person you gave it to.

Maybe someone else may have a suggesstion.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I'd lay it in a container with enough water to hold the blanket and let it soak for a half hour or more.Push it down in the water to be sure it is thoroughly soaked. Lift it out of the water, let the water run out, squeeze it, don't wring it till most of the water is gone. Roll between two bath towels and squeeze the rest of the water out, then take a look, that might relax the yarn. Lay it out to dry on dry towels and see what it looks like. If it doesn't meet with your approval, use it yourself for a laprobe.

Carol J.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Not sure how to fix it, but this does show why some yarn labels tell you to hand wash finished garments even though the yarn is acrylic... It is not just the yarn that factors in, but also the stitch pattern.

Maybe, if you were to wet it down again, and hand block it in shape and let it dry naturally (air dry, not the dryer) it might perk back up some?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for replies. I double checked and the label does say machine wash and dry. I think it was the looseness of the size 15 needles. The pattern has been on her several times. Its just straight knit alternating every 8 rows of size 15 and size 5 needles. Wonder if anyone else tried washing one before they gifted it. It wouldnt bother me that the ruffled look is gone but the fact that its so limp it dont look or feel new.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The rapid change from the cold water wash and the shock of hot air dry is what caused it to react in this manner. Hot water would not have been necessary and a lower heat in the dryer would have been better.
In any kind of washing, matching temperatures of the washing and drying is the way to go.

Carol J.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
I have done many projects with Red Heart yarn, and I don't have problems after I wash and dry it (I use fabric softener). I wash all my projects after completion because of my cats. Maybe the yarn was not compatible with the pattern. Was it designed with Red Heart yarn in mind?

If you dry acrylic yarn on high, it will melt.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think it could have been the hot dryer 'killing' the yarn.

My very old, first feather and fan afghan went all soft and limp like that after a washing and drying by someone else.

I think they threw too long it is a real hot dryer. It just sort of collapsed and had no spring left. Wasn't a huge problem, but it wasn't very warm anymore because the stitches opened up more, and made it pretty holey.I think it was knitted two strands on 13's, some inexpensive off white acryllic yarn in a thin worsted weight. It is still pretty draped at the botttom of a bed. Some dryers get terribly hot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom