Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is pictures of my latest project

http://turtlegirl76.com/free-patterns/
Go down 1 page to find pattern

Following this pattern as a guide:

I made a bag on size 10 Circular needles using wool yarn (Fisherman’s).
I made mine wider by 10 stitches.
I have read that you cannot felt in a front loader machine. I placed my bag and icord in a zippered pillow cover added a few towels and washed on Heavy Duty cycle with regular HE detergent and hot wash cold rinse.

As you can see it worked fine.

Judy from KY

Attachments

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Cute bag!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can use wool as long as it is not the kind that is made to be washed, I think it is called superwash wool & should be avoided for felting. You can also felt alpaca, bamboo and most any animal fur fiber. I have just discovered felting & have made several bags that I just love.

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
I think when it is said that a top loader is perferred to a front loader washing machine for felting, it is because you can't check your project while it is felting, like you can with a top loader. Like if you are felting slippers and not sure how much your yarn will felt, you wouldn't be able to keep checking the size. But other things like purses, I don't see what difference it would make. You bag is lovely by the way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made many purses and felted them in my front loader.They turned out perfectly! However, I did not place them in pillowcases to wash them and should have because I think I wrecked my front loader to the point that it didn't drain properly and had to be replaced. I now have a new top loader. I need to knit again to make another purse and try washing it in a pillowcase this time!
Wilmington, DE

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm also glad to see this thread. I thought the felting could only be done in a top loader but am glad to see that it can be done in a front loader as I do not have a machine in my apartment and depend on the machines in the building. I will, however, take note that it should be put in a pillow case absolutely or a mesh bag (is that alright too?)

·
Registered
46,031 Posts
Judy P: You are a girl after my own heart, making changes and improving a pattern - I don't usually do felted bags, but I absolutely LOVE yours and have copied all your input. Can I use regular worsted weight wool yarn? Thanks, Yona

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
I once lived in an apartment building with separate laundry room, and they were quite strict about using a washer for something other than washing. I would either check with your management or be very, very careful. ( absolutely use a pillowcase)!

marthasdaughter said:
I'm also glad to see this thread. I thought the felting could only be done in a top loader but am glad to see that it can be done in a front loader as I do not have a machine in my apartment and depend on the machines in the building. I will, however, take note that it should be put in a pillow case absolutely or a mesh bag (is that alright too?)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Don't use a mesh bag to felt - the lint can seep through and mess up your washer. Just baste a pillowcase closed. Or if you do a lot of felting, sew velcro on the edges to keep it closed.

I've heard from felters who skim the lint off the water as they check periodically, but you know some will still go down the drain and could cause a clog.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom