Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read everyone's dilemna about your kids, etc., not appreciating your knitted gifts. I'm in the same boat. DIL doesn't dress my grandson in my sweaters. What happens to them - are they thrown out? Hurt feelings. DD at least has sent a couple of pics of grands in my sweaters. I think she was being kind. Love her kindness for this. BUT TODAY - she asked if I would make a baby sweater set for her good friend's daughter because she wanted something very special! Brought tears to my eyes! I KNOW you all understand this! I am flying high and going through patterns and will knit until my knuckles hurt to finish something very special!

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
I get enough satisfaction out of making something. I really don't care if it's appreciated by anyone else. Maybe this is the result of having an autistic child. Having all my hopes for my precious child destroyed leaves me in the position of not caring overmuch for the things which once would have troubled me. I just can't have serious affection for anything that doesn't have a pulse.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fergablu2 said:
I get enough satisfaction out of making something. I really don't care if it's appreciated by anyone else. Maybe this is the result of having an autistic child. Having all my hopes for my precious child destroyed leaves me in the position of not caring overmuch for the things which once would have troubled me. I just can't have serious affection for anything that doesn't have a pulse.
I am sorry, and sad to read your words. But I still feel hurt when I try to please for naught, and feel happy when I can do something that pleases someone else. We find pleasure and satisfaction in pleasing someone . . .

·
Registered
885 Posts
soneka said:
We find pleasure and satisfaction in pleasing someone . . .
I know that is true and my dearest friends and family members recognize that and wear or use the items I make. That is what makes them my dearest friends and family members!! Is there a bigger compliment? No, indeed, but I have learned that I must not force my hobby upon anyone not receptive, or I may as well throw my work in the garbage.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
KnottyMe said:
soneka said:
We find pleasure and satisfaction in pleasing someone . . .
I know that is true and my dearest friends and family members recognize that and wear or use the items I make. That is what makes them my dearest friends and family members!! Is there a bigger compliment? No, indeed, but I have learned that I must not force my hobby upon anyone not receptive, or I may as well throw my work in the garbage.
I suspect that you have the right perspective on the subject, KnottyMe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have found down through the years that having willing recipients for my work is a blessing and I am always looking for them. My DIL asked me to make her a shrug for work and when I found a pattern and showed it to her she said "I'm going to get some more yarn, I would like about 3 in different colors. Music to my ears!

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
soneka said:
fergablu2 said:
I am sorry, and sad to read your words. But I still feel hurt when I try to please for naught, and feel happy when I can do something that pleases someone else. We find pleasure and satisfaction in pleasing someone . . .
It's nice to be appreciated, but why cause yourself unwonted disappointment? I'm going to still enjoy making something even if it winds up in the bottom a kennel.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I have made silly hats for my great-nephews. One niece takes videos and puts on facebook. The other doesn't even do that. I would like to have a picture that I can put in a frame.

I quit making sweaters since they never wore the sweaters I made for their baby showers. They do use the baby blankets I made, both boys have chosen it as their "blankie". I am so happy when someone uses something I made. It makes me sad to think of it in a drawer or closet.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I wonder if the kids don't like them, or the mom fears they will ruin them so they don't get worn much?
I know how you feel. I make prayer shawls for people who are ill or bereaved. and usually, they are very appreciated.
But...sometimes someone (who is not ill or bereaved, but just wants a shawl) will come right out and ask me to make them one -- and funny thing, they don't seem so appreciative. one lady asked me to make her one, and then never said thank you... never used it (that I know of). and another asked for one... and then seemed like she didn't like it when I gave it to her. LOL!

I have learned my lesson -- the prayer shawl is a ministry and meant for a person who needs the comfort of the shawl and the prayers -- period!
so, now I know... when someone who doesn't need it just asks me for one -- I explain the purpose of the shawl, and then I say, "if you would like a shawl or scarf I can make you one. you buy the yarn and describe what you would like. I will not charge much for my labor." that usually ends the conversation. ;)

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
It's always an emotional rush to be asked to knit something special for someone dear to you. I'm learning to save my efforts for recipients who really NEED or WANT what I work so hard to create. Thus--my knitting goes to charity or close family who request something specific.

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
I knit because I love to knit.... but oh how I love to knit something that brings a smile to someone's face. I am not disappointed because I either give items to those that admire them or make sure my girls WANT a particular item and they have input into color etc..... You must be on cloud nine, knowing that your work really has been treasured... and appreciated... Knit On!!!!!

·
Registered
15,969 Posts
I am one of the fortunates, my daughter loves me to knit for her and my grandson. Just finishing off his 'Percy' tank top, should have been finished for his second birthday which was a few days back.

·
Registered
9,783 Posts
Chrissy said:
I am one of the fortunates, my daughter loves me to knit for her and my grandson. Just finishing off his 'Percy' tank top, should have been finished for his second birthday which was a few days back.
my daughter is the same. I have now finished all her requests in time for the baby's birth next month. Now she has started compiling the list of things she wants me to knit afterwards when she knows the sex of the baby!

·
Registered
9,783 Posts
Chrissy said:
my daughter is the same. I have now finished all her requests in time for the baby's birth next month. Now she has started compiling the list of things she wants me to knit afterwards when she knows the sex of the baby!

·
Registered
15,969 Posts
CaroleD53 said:
Chrissy said:
Awwwwwwwww a Christmas baby, my elder granson will be 4 the week before Christmas day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom