Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are in Kitchen drawers, bold enough to run out from the fridge in daylight.We've tried the usual bait, peanut butter, cashew butter, cheese whiz. Bought the sticky pad where the mouse is supposed to get stuck and die (NOT). We have a dog, who is a good mouser, but there are so many! I am at my wits end, I figured you guys with a few years experience would have some ideas! :sm23:

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
oldladykai said:
They are in Kitchen drawers, bold enough to run out from the fridge in daylight.We've tried the usual bait, peanut butter, cashew butter, cheese whiz. Bought the sticky pad where the mouse is supposed to get stuck and die (NOT). We have a dog, who is a good mouser, but there are so many! I am at my wits end, I figured you guys with a few years experience would have some ideas! :sm23:
First things first: Find out how they are getting into your home!

·
Registered
20,518 Posts
Smart mice! Start by sealing off all openings in the foundation of your house. My friend had rats under her house, she could hear them. Exterminator put rat poison under her house and sealed off all the crawl space openings. Rats gone. She also got a huge kitty to keep them at bay. With recent fires, people are reporting more mouse issues. I have a kitty, that thinks he is a garbage disposal, and disposes all the little creepy creatures that might think about coming in my house. Except spiders, yuck

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
We had the same problem about a year ago, My husband found a great way to catch them, they love bird seed. He put it on sticky traps and regular traps and in no time no mice.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Dollie D is right. Find and block their entry point, but don't wait to...
Get a 5-gallon bucket and put about 5 inches of water in it. Place it close to a place where you've seen a lot of mice doo. Prop a piece of lath or a yardstick slanting from the floor to a good way above the lip of the bucket. Bait the upper tip of the lath with peanut butter. Put another dollop of peanut butter down in the bucket at the water line. The mice are interested in peanut butter if they're not getting into something better elsewhere. They go up the stick, feed one the PB, smell the other bit by the waterline, dive or fall in but can't get out. They drown. We killed 5 mice in one night that way. A young man I know rented a hunting cabin with some buddies and discovered it was infested. They set up a bucket trap and killed dozens of mice.

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
A friend here on KP said BACON!!!! and boy did it work for us this summer/early fall. We have them in the garage and basement....a little hard to kill them all when you live in the country and won't have a cat!
Then, one got into the pantry. That was it!! 4 traps with fresh bacon ends and it got the bugger the first night. No more followed and we found a little space along the floor board and put steel wool in there. Then on to garage and basement. Killed a ton until hubby had enough and just couldn't do any more deaths. But, I don't see evidence or leavings or anything any more. But I was on the verge of calling a pest removal company as well.
EDIT: We had used peanut butter for years to good results. But the pantry one was having none of it. That's why we tried the bacon and it was a miracle.

·
Premium Member
20,118 Posts
oldladykai said:
If your house is on pier and beam foundation, the mice are probably coming in from under your house! A pest control company is your best bet! In the mean time, try chopping/shaving Irish Spring soap and placing this very fragrant soap all over your house and in drawers...they don't like the smell! Best wishes!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Sharon22209A said:
Call a pest control company. They can help! They've been really good to us!!
Yes, the pest control people are your first step and, along with that, have your entire house checked for entry points where those little buggers are finding a way inside. After that there are humane repellents you can put about, including around the outside foundation of your house so you never see one inside again. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Ugh, it's that time of year again. We get them in our garage every fall. We have 2 cats and we call one the "great hunter". She loves to go hunting in our attached garage and sometime catches one in the house. A few years ago I opened the silverware drawer and a mouse was in it. I freaked out and washed eveything in the dishwasher 2 times. I read that mice don't like Peppermint essential oil. I tried it and it worked. I keep a dish towel under the silverware tray . I shake several drops of oil on it or a few cotton balls. When I open the drawer and can't smell the oil I add a little more. I haven' had a mouse in my drawers since.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom