Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a photo of some flowering quince I cut from our garden. I love the colour. Wish I had more of this plant in the garden. You do need gloves on to cut this though as it has very long thorns!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
That is beautiful. I grew up pretty much on the opposite side of the earth from you, but that was the plant my mother cultivated very carefully at our new house. 60 years later, her quince bush is big and beautiful, but the environment is such that it has never spread beyond the area where it was planted.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
starrz-delight said:
It is very beautiful, does it smell good?
I haven't really noticed a scent but even though we are at the tail end of winter and spring not started yet, there were a couple of bees on it yesterday outside in the garden.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Margaretishbel said:
flowering quince was an absolute pest in my garden. Had to work hard to get rid of it. Yes it is beautiful and flowers when you are really wanting to see some color.
It does sucker and spread. I guess burying a large pot in the ground would prevent the suckering and spreading to some extent. I imagine that would keep it better contained. We have to be careful not to plant anything that will spread to the gum forest (bush) and cause problems. My neighbour has two of these - one of which is white. I first became aware of this plant in Sydney in the Royal Botanic Gardens. I love the way it flowers on bare stems.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gaildh said:
Love flowering Quince so pretty. I also like the painting on the easel!
Thank you. That is a water colour painting that I did some years ago when I took a visual arts course. I gave away a lot of my paintings when we moved house 5 years ago but wanted to keep this one. At our previous home it used to hang over the bed in the master bedroom.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
st1tch said:
It's beautiful, does it bear fruit?
I don't think so. Real quince would though and then you can make quince jams and jellies from it. I think this is just the ornamental variety.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Margaretishbel said:
flowering quince was an absolute pest in my garden. Had to work hard to get rid of it. Yes it is beautiful and flowers when you are really wanting to see some color.
I did the same. I no longer have any. Now, if I could get rid of the trumpet vine.......

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom