Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to comment on this site.....now that it is snowy and cold in Montana, I remembered my jibber I wore in the '50's in Northern Wisconsin. Yup, I found the pattern I needed from a link Nigel posted on Jan. 22, '11 Thank you KP, knew I'd find it here!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Thanks for posting that link Jessica-Jean. I was really curious what a jibber was. Never wore anything like that growing up, now my girls do--but they call them earwarmers. Isn't it fascinaing how fashion trends come back, but with a new twist?

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
I remember when my younger sister learned to knit, her first project was supposed to be a doll blanket, but it was uneven and expanded in the middle, so my mom put ties on the ends and my sister wore it like that. She was so proud of herself, but knitting never "stuck" with her.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have my Mom's pattern for these which is different then the link above. I've made two!! So simple! They take no time to make!! I like to wear them under another hat. I've also worn them to bed (log home, 10,200 feet, Colorado!). I wore one to school and my younger teacher friends laughed at me!!! I'm old enough, now, that I didn't care!! LOL!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Crocheting that would be easier for me to shape it, I think. Hmmm. My ears complain very loudly in the northern California wind during our rainy season when it's damp and blowing and this could just be the kicker I need-even under another hat as mentioned above by Nancyp just above. Intriguing, thanks for the picture.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Great link, Jessica-jean. That sort of looks like the 'leaf with strings' vintage hat that a poster was asking about the other day - totally can't find the thread now so I hope she sees this.

·
Premium Member
80,971 Posts
nancyp0913 said:
I have my Mom's pattern for these which is different then the link above. I've made two!! So simple! They take no time to make!! I like to wear them under another hat. I've also worn them to bed (log home, 10,200 feet, Colorado!). I wore one to school and my younger teacher friends laughed at me!!! I'm old enough, now, that I didn't care!! LOL!
So, Nancy, would you be so kind as to share your mother's pattern? It may be a better one!

The only such hat I ever wore was store-bought (remember the W.T.Grant stores?), fluffy white acrylic, but I absolutely loved it! It did what nothing else did; it kept my ears from freezing through four north-central Massachusetts' winters in the mid-60s. I guess it's time to make a new one, now that I have an actual pattern to guide me ... Or two patterns, eh, Nancy?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom