Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am making a ruffle scarf with Sashay yarn and came across an area where they joined two yarn sections together. There is a big wad of Sashay where they joined the two. Has anyone else had this problem and how do I work with it? Should I cut if off and treat it like I am starting again with new sashay or knit through the wad? I am afraid of what this will look like. I am really ticked off that 2/3 of the way through this scarf I come across a place where the yarn runs out and they join another section this way. Please tell me how to deal with this. thanks.

·
Registered
27,081 Posts
It is discouraging to find a knot in any yarn. I did just what price did. I undid the knot and overlapped the ends a bit and continued on. I could not even find the spliced area when I finished the scarf.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I have done to many of these to count and yes there are many knots. I test the knot to see if it will hold if it does then cut the excess and test again and keep on knitting. If it doesn't hold tie a knot that will and cut off excess and keep knitting. The knots are hidden in the ruffles.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hi, This happens 99 times out of a hundred, it apparently is a natural thing with Sashay. I had a ball that had three knots in it so I complained to red heart as I was disgusted with it and sent it back to them, they apologized and told me this is a natural occurrence and sent me to balls back. Then I had it happen again with Coats and Clark again sent it back to them, they in turn replaced with two balls and apologized.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also had the knot appear two times with one skein of yarn, I left it and kept knitting, can't tell when scarf was finished.

As far as the ends when you start, I hem those, looks more professionally finished.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I've had that happen and 'lesson learned' try to remember to always look ahead at my yarn.
When it happens I 'tink' back to end, cut the crap, and start w/new, later weave end in.......BECAUSE....I've had a 'join' come undone on a completed lace project (took a lot of wine and ice cream to get over that). :-(

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I've had that happen and 'lesson learned' try to remember to always look ahead at my yarn.
When it happens I 'tink' back to end, cut the crap, and start w/new, later weave end in.......BECAUSE....I've had a 'join' come undone on a completed lace project (took a lot of wine and ice cream to get over that). :-(

·
Registered
70 Posts
This has happened to me so many times I stopped buying it...I buy Starbella Yarn or Paton has a ruffle yarn also. Does no good to complain...as I have to Coates and Clark...it does not help the quality they choose to put out to the consumer.
So far I have knitted about 100 of these kinds of scarves and I would say the last 20 have been messed up. If this is the kind of yarn they want to put out there they should have put a pattern on the back or inside sleeve to tell you what to do when this happens...which I explained to them. I just plain and simply to not buy any of that yarn. And if I can help it I do not buy any Red Heart. I have worked too hard for my money to buy yarn start a scarf and have that happen.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
blrose1 said:
Hi. I am making a ruffle scarf with Sashay yarn and came across an area where they joined two yarn sections together. There is a big wad of Sashay where they joined the two. Has anyone else had this problem and how do I work with it? Should I cut if off and treat it like I am starting again with new sashay or knit through the wad? I am afraid of what this will look like. I am really ticked off that 2/3 of the way through this scarf I come across a place where the yarn runs out and they join another section this way. Please tell me how to deal with this. thanks.
I unknotted it and stitched it with clear, nylon thread. I quit making these ruffle scarves, because Sashay was giving grief. Knots like this, or big stretches where the mesh was ripped. Plus, where I live, they aren't all that popular anymore.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
blrose1 said:
I found this also on two balls of sashay so far. I took them back to Michael's where I bought them and they exchanged them for another ball. I think I should check them all before I start knitting so I don't have the time wasted anymore.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
I, personally, do not like knots. Even in the ruffle scarves of which I have made quite a few. The last scarf I just made had three knots in the skein. I was not happy about this. There should never be more than one knot if that. Many of the skeins I have purchased do not have any knots. This last one with the three was frustrating. I do not knot the yarn at the beginning. I fold over the end for the 8 stitches that I use and knit the two together matching the holes. If I come across a knot in the skein, I always cut it out and then overlap the two ends matching the holes and knit them together. The overlap gets hidden in the ruffles of the scarf and is smoother than a knot would be. The only knot I have is after I bind off and have to knot that end.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
>Should I cut if off and treat it like I am starting again with new sashay
Yes!
>... or knit through the wad?
No!

There have been many conversations on this topic-
unfortunately, that yarn often does have a knot somewhere along the way - but it really doesn't affect the end product -
just trim the ends, throw the ugly knot away, and blend the yarn in as you start it like a new one.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I have had many knots too. I will cut them and tie my own or join the two raw ends together and keep going. You can't see the knots after they are knit but if you feel for them you will find them. I sew through the knots with needle and thread to make sure they don't ever come out. The knots at the end and beginning I take the ruffle near them and wrap it around and sew thru it so you can't see it. I know they are going to go out of style but I hope not soon because I love knitting them. I am making Steelers ones now for my Steeler friends and they love them. Ladies are still wearing scarves of all kinds with their outfits so I think they will still wear the ruffle ones.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
burgher said:
I have had many knots too. I will cut them and tie my own or join the two raw ends together and keep going. You can't see the knots after they are knit but if you feel for them you will find them. I sew through the knots with needle and thread to make sure they don't ever come out. The knots at the end and beginning I take the ruffle near them and wrap it around and sew thru it so you can't see it. I know they are going to go out of style but I hope not soon because I love knitting them. I am making Steelers ones now for my Steeler friends and they love them. Ladies are still wearing scarves of all kinds with their outfits so I think they will still wear the ruffle ones.
I think the state of Washington is behind the east coast as far as styles go. The ruffle scarves became popular here last spring. At least that is when I started noticing people wearing them. I, too, like making them and am in the process of making a bunch to sell at a Christmas bazaar in December. I just ordered some red and black Sashay yarn and can hardly wait to get it. I think that will make a beautiful scarf. So, I am keeping my fingers crossed that these scarves will stay in style for a long time yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom