Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone served jury duty? I am "on call" every Thursday for the next 2 months. The recorded instructions say you can't bring sharp objects, but do you think this includes knitting needles or crochet hooks. I have been knitting on airplanes for years, so obviously the airlines do not think knitting needles are "sharp". But, not sure how my local government views this hobby. What do you think?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
It may depend on the jurisdiction. Call the courthouse you will be serving at and ask. I know that one area in CT does not allow knitting needles, but will allow crochet hooks. Another has a craft room with knitting needles and yarn, asking jurors to knit for charity while they wait. As for me, it's been over 25 years since I had jury duty. I was on federal jury duty for three months, only having to show up when there was a case, was called once immediately after that for state duty, but was excused as a result of the federal service. Haven't been called since then.

·
Registered
13,858 Posts
Poor you, hope the case you get is easy to form a verdict on. I think so long as you don't knit during the court procedures your needles would be fine, but check beforehand and you won't suffer the loss of your favourite knitting pins.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I have served on jury duty and was able to bring my knitting but not scissors, even the tiny pair that I bring on airlines.
I used the scissors that the staff worker had on her desk, in a pencil holder!
Everyone has to go through a metal detector and bags are scanned.
You should definitely call ahead.
You will certainly have hours to work on a project, good luck!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Last month I posted a topic about my experience during jury duty. It was under the non-knitting posts and was titled The Most Awesome Idea! I hope you can look it up and ready what a wonderful time I had there. In case you can't locate it, here it is in a nutshell.

No, we were not allowed any sharp items...no knitting needles, no crochet hooks, no scissors, needles, etc. I thought I was in for a horrid 2 weeks. But...although you weren't allowed to bring those items into the courthouse, the courthouse had a room where you could go and knit, crochet, or cut fabric they had there (to make different sizes of bibs) for a local hospital's children's ward. They had yarn there and a shoebox full of knitting needles, crochet hooks and scissors. They had patterns available to make hats for babies or...you could bring your own yarn and make whatever you were working on, using their supplies. It was a great two weeks...I crocheted many baby hats and cut out lots of bibs. I suggested in the article that everyone contact their jury commissioner and suggest they set up the same arrangement. It keeps us crafty people's hands busy and at the same time helps the tiny ones at the hospital. I was also able to donate a bunch of yarn to their dwindling basket of supplies.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
As others have said, be sure to call and ask, but even if you do, don't count on the answer. At the Philadelphia federal courthouse, one set of screeners allowed knitting and crochet projects, and another set at another entrance was taking them away.

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
In Colorado Springs we're not allowed to bring knitting needles. They will be confiscated and not returned. When I told them I could take on plane, they said completely different, I wasn't flying with a bunch of criminals. No, just possibly a bunch of terrorists.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
The disparity is ridiculous. The poster who said there was an activity area with all the necessary supplies for knitting, etc. proves that the rules are not realistic. What's to stop a juror from pocketing a verbatim item and bringing it into the courtroom? I guess the initial screening is to be sure one doesn't harm another juror? At least, not with your own instruments of torture.

Criminals in the courtroom vs. terrorists on an airplane? Absurd.

·
Registered
335 Posts
When I served I brought my knitting and was allowed in with no problems. However, when I returned from lunch they didn't allow me to bring it in. They checked the knitting in and I was able to retrieve it when I left for the day. Guess it just depends on who is doing the screening.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Friday'schild said:
Last month I posted a topic about my experience during jury duty. It was under the non-knitting posts and was titled The Most Awesome Idea! I hope you can look it up and ready what a wonderful time I had there. In case you can't locate it, here it is in a nutshell.

No, we were not allowed any sharp items...no knitting needles, no crochet hooks, no scissors, needles, etc. I thought I was in for a horrid 2 weeks. But...although you weren't allowed to bring those items into the courthouse, the courthouse had a room where you could go and knit, crochet, or cut fabric they had there (to make different sizes of bibs) for a local hospital's children's ward. They had yarn there and a shoebox full of knitting needles, crochet hooks and scissors. They had patterns available to make hats for babies or...you could bring your own yarn and make whatever you were working on, using their supplies. It was a great two weeks...I crocheted many baby hats and cut out lots of bibs. I suggested in the article that everyone contact their jury commissioner and suggest they set up the same arrangement. It keeps us crafty people's hands busy and at the same time helps the tiny ones at the hospital. I was also able to donate a bunch of yarn to their dwindling basket of supplies.
I missed the original post, but what a great idea! Courthouses should share this .

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
ugigi said:
Has anyone served jury duty? I am "on call" every Thursday for the next 2 months. The recorded instructions say you can't bring sharp objects, but do you think this includes knitting needles or crochet hooks. I have been knitting on airplanes for years, so obviously the airlines do not think knitting needles are "sharp". But, not sure how my local government views this hobby. What do you think?
Here is a link to a previous discussion on KP about Jury Duty. Maybe that will help. I agree with others, call the court house.

http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-414699-1.html

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom