Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
This is a picture of a mat that I made for a cistomer out of puff ball yarn. It was quite a trick to work with this yarn. I finally used a coordinating regular yarn to cast on and off. The puff ball yarn seemed to bunch at the casting on and off otherwise. It took a bit, but I finally got it to look right.

Attachments

I've used quite a lot of a similar yarn - the mini pompom yarn - and I had the same problem with the casting on and off rows being all bunched up etc. I finally solved the problem by casting on in a similar colour wool on much larger needles (eg the pattern used 4mm but I used 8mm to cast on and off).
This seemed to work really well and I have just finished a comforter for my grandaughters and a matching cushion cover as well. As a newbie to the site (literally just joined), I shall see about getting some pictures up soon.

Love that yar,
I used it to make the Poodle golf club cover.
That mat is going to be so soft of the feet.
Linda

I actually bought 2 skeins of this yarn thinking I would make a small baby carrier blanket....worked about 7 rows and thought, "there's better ways to spend my time....I don't need frustration when knitting is supposed to be relaxing".....KUDOS on your fortitude.

It is beautiful. The 2 skeins????....donated them to Goodwill.

I guess I'm a rarity. I like working with this yarn and haven't had problems knitting it by itself. I've made pillows, kitchen and bath mats, scarves, and a skirt for my 3 year old niece. It's so soft and cushy, everyone loves them.

Discussion starter · #19 ·
rdejam said:
I guess I'm a rarity. I like working with this yarn and haven't had problems knitting it by itself. I've made pillows, kitchen and bath mats, scarves, and a skirt for my 3 year old niece. It's so soft and cushy, everyone loves them.
Yes you are a rarity. Did you do the same to keep the cast on and binding off the same? I finally started with other yarn and then I ended by adding in other yarn and then binding off. Otherwise I found it bunched up too much. Other than that it was simple to work with.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what's bunching up for everyone.
I used a combination of yarns for the pillows because I made mitered squares and it's too fluffy by itself but for the mats and scarves, I just cast-on and bind off normally. I cast on 1 stitch each side of each cocoon so there are 2 stitches between each cocoon, then knit in garter stitch until I'm done and bind off by knitting a stitch, then passing the previous stitch over it until there's 1 left. Then I make as big a loop as I can and pass a couple of cocoons through and tighten it off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom