Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My name is Connie and I haven't knitted in years. I cross stitch, sew, quilt, etc. However, I've been ill and can't seem to concentrate on my other hobbies, so I picked up my knitting needles again. I know that I've forgotten alot, so here I am.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
welcome back!!!! lots of us move from one hobby to another as our 'frontrunner'.....they all come around eventually....lots of help here in case you get stuck trying to get back into the swing of it...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome, Connie204. I started knitting again this last summer after 30 years. I'm really enjoying getting back into it. I keep working on projects and am going to start a capelet/shawl to wear at my son's wedding. Hoping to have a little something to throw over my shoulders.

The others on this site are very helpful, so know you will enjoy.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Welcome, Connie,

I recently revisited the knitting and crocheting syndrome, too. Hoping someday to help others with this business; but for now am on the receiving end as I relearn. This site is very helpful.

Hope to hear more from you as you go along.

Sue

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also haven't really knitted in 30 years. However, my mother was an avid knitter, needlepointer, seamstress, etc. I inherited all her needles and still have them all. I'm so glad I kept them looking at the price of needles today. Although I'm intriqued by the new wooden ones. The next coupon I get from Joannes I must try a pair. I'm really glad I found this site. I know all of you will be most helpful. Connie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Connie,
I hope that picking up the needles helps you as much as it has me. I have only been knitting about 10 years (I'm 62). I always wanted to but never could get the tension right, so would try every 2-3 years, and one time, it just worked. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Fibromyalgia, and knitting both calms me, and helps with the pain and stiffness in the hands. Best wishes, Judy

·
Registered
2 Posts
I decided to start knitting again about six months ago following my retirement after 33 years of arduous work and travel. Had I known it, I would have restarted sooner. What a calming effect knitting has had on me!!! It is wonderful and exciting to have projects to look forward to. I have started knitting for my granddaughter to be born sometime in July.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Connie - just did sign onto this site myself - this is actually my first post. It seems to be a beautifully produced site.

I love to knit. My situation is that i've been addicted to online games and find i absolutely must break that habit. Have picked up some knitting the last few days and believe its a much more edifying pasttime.

Hope your health is well and you enjoy your knitting once again.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Hello--I am Carolyn, and just getting back to knitting too.

I used to knit from the top down, and loved it. Now I need to find a pattern. On another site, someone recommended a site, but my computer doesn't recognize it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! what a great site this is. I can't get over how many people have decided to start knitting again. This is such fun. I just got a coupon for Hobby Lobby and think I will take a ride and see what kind of yarns they carry. I guess I will have to start a stash of yarn, as I have for my counted cross stitch and my sewing. I'm still having trouble seaming. I've been knitting mittens and will probably end up giving them to charity this coming Christmas. Connie

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
So happy you're finding your knitting passion again!
It's like "riding a bicycle", but keep your patterns simple until you get back into an easy rhythm. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
carolyn tolo said:
Hello--I am Carolyn, and just getting back to knitting too.

I used to knit from the top down, and loved it. Now I need to find a pattern. On another site, someone recommended a site, but my computer doesn't recognize it.
Carolyn ~ There are several sites with patterns that are free. You may have to sign up to access, but well worth it. Some I have found patterns on are Ravelry.com, Lionbrand.com (this is Lions Brand Yarn site), knittingdaily.com (this is the Interweave site), knitpicks.com, knittingpatterncentral.com, . If you have a favorite brand of yarn, they normally have sites with patterns.

Enjoy looking through these and others to find items to work on. I've only purchased one book and that is because I love working with Cascade yarn and they had a book with great hats, gloves, and scarfs and I just couldn't pass it up. Otherwise, all my pattern are from free sites.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
"Knit from the top" sweaters are a raglan style that canbe easily adjusted to various sizes by adding "rounds" of increases from neck to underarm (usually 8 stiches increased per round). Find a basic pattern you like and you can get very creative--adding stripes, contrasting color combinations and even an interesting pattern to the tummy section of the sweater below the underarms. Good luck--and ENJOY!!!

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
As we get older, we have more time to return to our favorite pasttimes. We either retire or find hours to fill once the kids leave home. It's a phase of life I never dared dream about, so I am enjoying it more than I ever imagined. I hope you will, too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom