Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had earlier told of a dismal experience at Michaels. It was suggested that I call ... instead I wrote their corporate people and got a return call on Friday. I called back today and was told by "pricilla" that what I has returned was ppuchased for 2.9-. I assured her that was wrong - and again explained (my daughter was with me and also knows what I returned ... alarge one pounder - at 9.90) I really am not diffcult - quitethe contrary. My bill at Michaels that day wa 80.00!
Please - spare yourself the agony - shop elsewhere - they pay no attention to customers and their policies are a disaster. I shall never go back - there are many other yarn purchases which can be made comfortbly.
Sherry

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Just does not make sense, companys spend so much on advertising to get customers, and all they need to do is treat the ones they have well, and word of mouth will do the rest. To lose a customer over 9.90 is insane. Just look at KnitPicks, they have sent me wrong or messed up product many times, but because of their customer service I do not hesitate to order from them over and over.

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
This is confusing.
Your prior post in July stated something along the lines that you had purchased alot of yarn on sale (total purchases of $80).
Prior to that post, others had posted (first part of July) that there was a huge clearance sale.
You may have purchased that skein of yarn you want to return through that huge sale.
Believe it or not, stores can track back purchases, especially if a cc/debt card was used.
If it was on sale, they are only obligated to refund or give credit for the sale amount; minus any restocking fee that may be applied per company policy.
Most stores treat clearance items as "final sales". No refund/no returns.
Also most stores say--no receipt, no refund/exchange.

I am not saying one way or the other, whether you purchased it on sale/clearance or not.
And I am not going to take sides either.

I hope you find a store that you can be happy with.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I went to my local Michael's to buy yarn and found lots of it pulled out and strung down across the bins. Some of ot even down to the floor. Staff in the act of pulling stuff off other aisles and throwing it on the floor! I ask what they were doing and they said changing stock. Needless to say I left buying nothing. I e-mailed the company. They said," Sorry, our customers are important to us. We will contact the store and you will get a call from them within 72 hrs." it has been several months. No call. We sure must be important to them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No - nothing was on sale - I did not buy anything onsale! the yarns were right for me at the time ... I admire truthfulness in ads - had they not taken the yarn back - fine - but to offer 10% on a yarn that as not on sale ... and the language that went with it was too much. I will not return to any of it - I promise.
sherry

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Sorry to hear about these experiences with Michaels. I have shopped there a few times with no problems...but if this is the experience with their customer service, I don't need it. I was in customer service for many, many years and it is seriously lacking anymore in any business....

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
I guessing - it sounds like you didn't have the receipt any more? Generally in that case, most stores will only refund for the current sale price.

Anyway, I am sorry you had an unhappy experience with Michaels. Hope you find another retailer you're more satisfied with.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Here's the policy at almost every store where I shop locally -
If you don't have receipt and desire a money refund, you get the sales price from whenever that item was on sale - be it a month or six months ago. Many stores, such as Wal Mart and Target have the ability to scan the bar code and tell when and at what price it was bought so they dont' even blink if you don't have the receipt. I'm not sure if Michaels can do that. You might ask them.

I'm sorry for your experience. I don't think it's wise to blanket all Michaels stores from experience with one. Though corporate policies are in place, each store has it's own management and ability to bend policy when warranted.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I have returned an unused ball of yarn to Hobby Lobby, with no recipt, long after it was purchase, and they are happy to exchange it for another ball of what ever same priced yarn I want. Have never tried to return for money, do not know how they would treat that.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Somebody once advised me that when you have a dismal experience with a company, look up its president and write to him/her. He/She surely does not want any negative publicity and will (almost) always seriously look into the matter and you will gain satisfaction. Just passing it along.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Yes, once again Michaels bombs. Their attitude is really bad and it shows. But on the bright side because they have "a corner on the market" competitors are popping up and soon they won't be the only one with a huge stock to select from and there is always on line web sites like Fire Mountain Gems & Beads if you like to use beads in knitting. Don't be caught up in these "super sales" where you buy a lot of cheap stuff you never use--been there but no more.

The Michaels store I have gone to forces you to pass through all their artificial flowers that are messy and not attractive they way they display them--but it never changes, always the same ole same ole. I go there only as a last resort. Joannes doesn't have as big a selection but they do have a good customer service.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Ask4j said:
I go there only as a last resort. Joannes doesn't have as big a selection but they do have a good customer service.
:) It really, really MUST depend on the individual store.

Yes, I don't care to have to go clear back to the furthest corner of the store, either, but it's always worth the walk -- and I must use a cane or hang onto a cart to get there. In fact, I have to keep from going into Michael's because there's just too much temptation.

PLUS, they have great bargain days -- both for seniors and for military -- each week.

Now, our local JoAnn's has a really small yarn department, and no bargain days.

Customer service at each is about the same -- that is, the staff isn't large enough at either, and they're always busy -- but very helpful.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Although we all have had our bad moments with Michaels, what would we do without them. I go there for things other than knitting unless they have a massed produced yarn that I really want. There are so many things they carry that you cannot find elsewhere like all the different types of glues, mattings and art materials when you want to frame your needle work--plus they do go on sale constantly. Just walking through their aisles you find things that you never knew existed. I am no longer an impulse buyer these days so shopping is okay and I certainly won't be adding more hobbies when knitting is so all consuming and crocheting, and tatting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom