Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi knitting peeps, I have just started a new hat and cannot understand the instructions. I hope someone will help me. The pattern is free and called "Molly." It can be found at http://www.knitmeasong.blogspot.com

I have cast on, knitted the ribbing, done the required increases and changed to the larger needle. Now I am stumped. The first direction after that says:

Rnd 1: P1, work 16 st cable patt, beginning with Rnd 3 of Cable Pattern, (p1, k1) to end

Here is the cable pattern: Rnds 1-7: Knit; Rnd 8: c8F, c8b

What do they mean by beginning with Rnd 3 of cable pattern? Am I to p1, then knit 5 rnds? What about the p1 at the beginning? Do I do that for 5 rounds? What do I do with that? When do I do the (p1, k1) to the end? Rnds 2 and 3 are similar (each with the 16 st cable pattern in them) and then the directions are to repeat these three rounds 18 more times. I realize I need plain knit rows between the cable stitches, but I just don't get this.

I feel really stupid, but I just can't wrap my brain around this for some reason. Thanks.

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
Okay, this is what I come up with, but haven't test knitted it though.

Cable Pattern (Over 16 sts)
Rnds 1-7: Knit
Rnd 8: C8F, C8B

Rnd 1: P1, K16, (p1,k1) to end. = Rnd 3 of cable pattern
Rnd 2: P1, k16, p1, knit to end. = Rnd 4 of cable pattern
Rnd 3: p1, k16, p1, knit to end. = Rnd 5 of cable pattern

Repeat Rnds 1-3, 18 times more. BUT insert the next cable pattern rnd after the first P1 at the start of the rnd. Then do the appropriate finishing of the round.
Rnd 4: p1, k16, (p1,k1) to end. = Rnd 6 of cable pattern
Rnd 5: p1, k16, p1, knit to end. = Rnd 7 of cable pattern
Rnd 6: p1, C8F,C8B, p1, knit to end. = Rnd 8 of cable pattern

Rnd 7: p1, k16, (p1,k1) to end. = Rnd 1 of cable pattern
Rnd 8: p1, k16, p1, knit to end. = Rnd 2 of cable pattern
Rnd 9: p1, k16, p1, knit to end. = Rnd 3 of cable pattern

Continue in this fashion, doing the next rnd of the cable pattern for 16 stitches after the first p1 at the start of the rnd.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Galaxycraft. I read the comments and I'm glad to know I am not the only one confused. But I have been wracking my brain and I think I've got it now. The use of the terminology RNDS in talking about the cable part of the hat is what is confusing. There is only one line of cables in the hat -- the 16-st cable pattern. So, when she saids Round 3 (or whatever round #) of the cable pattern, she just means the 16-stitch cable pattern, not all the way around the hat. So, I am back at it and hopefully I am right and as I knit a few more rounds, I will see if it is working out correctly. I think it is such a cute hat and I really want to make it.

·
Registered
52,666 Posts
Galaxycraft has described what I would do. And it makes sense if you look at the pattern- it has just the one wide cable.
Yes she is using the term round because the hat is knitted in the round, not because the cable goes all around the hat- this is where looking at a picture can help becuase it can show you how something should look. The 16 stitches of the cable go in the same place each time and only ht eonce in each round.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom