Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this site and am loving reading all the questions/answers. I am knitting a hat for a chemo patient. The entire hat is K1, P1 using circular needles (88 sts). I need to know the best way to decrease keeping the K1, P1 pattern. Would appreciate any help. Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,965 Posts
kolectrs said:
Hi, I am new to this site and am loving reading all the questions/answers. I am knitting a hat for a chemo patient. The entire hat is K1, P1 using circular needles (88 sts). I need to know the best way to decrease keeping the K1, P1 pattern. Would appreciate any help. Thanks
Personally, I would probably switch from the k1 p1 pattern to straight stockinette at the crown, but if you really want to try to keep the k1 p1 pattern going for as long as possible then you could do it by planning the type and placement of your decreases so that they correspond to the pattern. For example, you could place a k2tog and a p2tog next to each other (e.g. k1, p1, k1, p1, k2tog, p2tog, k1, p1...) spaced out evenly throughout the round. You can also use a double-decrease of k3tog (over a k1, p1, k1 group of stitches) or a p3tog (over a p1, k1, p1 group of stitches), also even distributed across the round.

As far as how many stitches to decrease per round, you might want to look at some other hat patterns that are made with a similar number of stitches as see how many rows they take to decrease the crown. Do one round k1, p1 between each round of decreases.

Try this and see how it works:

Rnd 1: *k3tog, (p1, k1) 9 times, p1; rep from *. (80 stitches)
Rnd 2 and all even rows: k1, p1.
Rnd 3: *k3tog, (p1, k1) 8 times, p1; rep from *. (72 stitches)
Rnd 5: *k3tog, (p1, k1) 7 times, p1; rep from *. (64 stitches)
Rnd 7: *k3tog, (p1, k1) 6 times, p1; rep from *. (56 stitches)
Rnd 9: *k3tog, (p1, k1) 5 times, p1; rep from *. (48 stitches)
Rnd 11: *k3tog, (p1, k1) 4 times, p1; rep from *. (40 stitches)
Rnd 13: *k3tog, (p1, k1) 3 times, p1; rep from *. (32 stitches)
Rnd 13: *k3tog, (p1, k1) 2 times, p1; rep from *. (24 stitches)
Rnd 15: *k3tog, p3tog; rep from *. (8 stitches)
Cut yarn, draw through 8 stitches, pull tight to close and knot.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I am making a K1P1 hat right now and found your question online. Did the answer you were given to K3 together, etc.. work out? I am going to be ready to do my decreasing soon and wondered if and what worked for you.
KathyM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom