Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many of us get stomach aches or are gassy. This article may be helpful in working out of your "discomfort zone"

Gut bacteria are vitally important for good health. Though the microbiome has enjoyed some time in the spotlight in recent years, this connection between the gut and vibrant health wasn't always a given. Only recently have we begun to understand that the complexity of our microbiota can impact our skin health, energy levels, mental wellness and overall inflammation.

Though there are many side effects of poor gut heath, one of the most obvious is digestive trouble. If you've been experiencing this or other symptoms, you're probably ready to start your journey toward better health. Here are the first five steps you should take as you work toward healing your gut.

Eat a Low-FODMAP Diet

One of the biggest problems that can plague the digestive tract is the malabsorption of various foods. This phenomenon may also be referred to as food sensitivity, but here's the gist of what happens. When certain kinds of foods are consumed, they aren't absorbed adequately by the small intestine. This leads to a buildup of nutrients as the food moves through into the large intestine. Microbiota then consume those nutrients en masse, and their consumption creates unusually large amounts of gas. This is thought to be one of the main triggers of IBS.
Love This? Never Miss Another Story.

You won't know exactly what foods are difficult for you to digest until you try eliminating them from your diet. The term FODMAP refers to "Fermentable, Oligo-, Di-, Mono-saccharides and Polyols." Eating a low-FODMAP diet means eliminating high-fructose foods (sugary fruits), gluten-containing grains, maltitol and sorbitol (sugar alcohols found in stone fruits), lactose (aka dairy) and legumes. All of these foods are known to be poorly absorbed by some people. After you eliminate them for a period of about six weeks, you can try adding back one food group at a time. This will help you discover what may be causing you trouble.

Eat Adequate Amounts of Fiber

Fiber can be difficult to digest, but it is an important component of promoting regular bowel movements. If you are eating a low-FODMAP diet, you may notice that some of your usual fiber sources, such as whole grains, are eliminated. Make up for this by eating plenty of healthy vegetables. You can also feel safe adding a tablespoon of flaxseed to your meals, as it is considered perfectly safe for low-FODMAP eaters.

Consume Probiotics

Obviously, consuming probiotics is very important for gut health. How you choose to get probiotics into your diet, though, is up to you. You can take a probiotic supplement, but if you do, look for one that has more than a few live strains … at least six. Otherwise, you won't really be promoting the diverse microbiome that your gut needs to thrive.

You can also get probiotics completely naturally by eating fermented foods. Homemade classics such as kefir, sauerkraut, kombucha and yogurt (if you're not dairy-free) are all great options.

Consume Prebiotics

Prebiotics are the nutrients that gut bacteria often feed off of. Really, everything you eat can be a prebiotic, but there are certain foods that are known to be most beneficial for gut bacteria. Those foods include chicory root, artichoke, dandelion greens, sweet potatoes, onions and garlic. Be careful with the latter two, though-keep them at moderate levels, because they contain some FODMAP nutrients (fructans).

Cook Your Veggies

While many of us love the nutrient density of raw vegetables, it's a proven fact that veggies are more difficult to digest when they're eaten raw. While you're sorting out your digestive issues, try cooking your produce at least to room temperature before eating it. You don't have to cook it heavily-just a light steaming will do. This will make the food easier on the gut (and it's in line with ayurvedic principles, too!).

·
Registered
30,096 Posts
MarilynKnits said:
So many of us get stomach aches or are gassy. This article may be helpful in working out of your "discomfort zone"

Gut bacteria are vitally important for good health. Though the microbiome has enjoyed some time in the spotlight in recent years, this connection between the gut and vibrant health wasn't always a given. Only recently have we begun to understand that the complexity of our microbiota can impact our skin health, energy levels, mental wellness and overall inflammation.

Though there are many side effects of poor gut heath, one of the most obvious is digestive trouble. If you've been experiencing this or other symptoms, you're probably ready to start your journey toward better health. Here are the first five steps you should take as you work toward healing your gut.

Eat a Low-FODMAP Diet

One of the biggest problems that can plague the digestive tract is the malabsorption of various foods. This phenomenon may also be referred to as food sensitivity, but here's the gist of what happens. When certain kinds of foods are consumed, they aren't absorbed adequately by the small intestine. This leads to a buildup of nutrients as the food moves through into the large intestine. Microbiota then consume those nutrients en masse, and their consumption creates unusually large amounts of gas. This is thought to be one of the main triggers of IBS.

You won't know exactly what foods are difficult for you to digest until you try eliminating them from your diet. The term FODMAP refers to "Fermentable, Oligo-, Di-, Mono-saccharides and Polyols." Eating a low-FODMAP diet means eliminating high-fructose foods (sugary fruits), gluten-containing grains, maltitol and sorbitol (sugar alcohols found in stone fruits), lactose (aka dairy) and legumes. All of these foods are known to be poorly absorbed by some people. After you eliminate them for a period of about six weeks, you can try adding back one food group at a time. This will help you discover what may be causing you trouble.

Fiber can be difficult to digest, but it is an important component of promoting regular bowel movements. If you are eating a low-FODMAP diet, you may notice that some of your usual fiber sources, such as whole grains, are eliminated. Make up for this by eating plenty of healthy vegetables. You can also feel safe adding a tablespoon of flaxseed to your meals, as it is considered perfectly safe for low-FODMAP eaters.

Consume Probiotics

Obviously, consuming probiotics is very important for gut health. How you choose to get probiotics into your diet, though, is up to you. You can take a probiotic supplement, but if you do, look for one that has more than a few live strains … at least six. Otherwise, you won't really be promoting the diverse microbiome that your gut needs to thrive.

You can also get probiotics completely naturally by eating fermented foods. Homemade classics such as kefir, sauerkraut, kombucha and yogurt (if you're not dairy-free) are all great options.

Consume Prebiotics

Prebiotics are the nutrients that gut bacteria often feed off of. Really, everything you eat can be a prebiotic, but there are certain foods that are known to be most beneficial for gut bacteria. Those foods include chicory root, artichoke, dandelion greens, sweet potatoes, onions and garlic. Be careful with the latter two, though-keep them at moderate levels, because they contain some FODMAP nutrients (fructans).

Cook Your Veggies

While many of us love the nutrient density of raw vegetables, it's a proven fact that veggies are more difficult to digest when they're eaten raw. While you're sorting out your digestive issues, try cooking your produce at least to room temperature before eating it. You don't have to cook it heavily-just a light steaming will do. This will make the food easier on the gut (and it's in line with ayurvedic principles, too!).
About cooking vegetables: I saw a program that discussed the raw food trend. They had two groups of rats, one group got raw sweet potato, the other group got cooked sweet potato. The raw food rats lost weight and showed other signs of being malnourished. The cooked food rats gained weight, they were alert and active, with glossy fur. The conclusion was that vital nutrients were released when vegetables were cooked.

·
Registered
32,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you post your recipes and cooking hints I am quite impressed. I can see the loving care you give to what you and your family eat. I hope you maintain your good health into great old age.

bundyanne07 said:
This was very interesting and thank you for posting.
Both of us are in a fortunate position as neither of us have any problems as we eat what I consider a normal healthy diet and have always done so.

·
Registered
30,096 Posts
run4fittness said:
Very interesting. I have noticed that there are pro and con comments on cooking veggies. My take is, cook what I want to cook and eat raw what I want to eat raw. This way my digestive system stays happy!
Exactly. Too much worry about eating someone's version of a proper diet without regard for enjoyment of our food is a real damper. There is so much anxious extremism these days about what is healthy food.
Of course it is wise to eat healthy foods instead of things we know are bad for us, and if anyone has unpleasant effects from eating certain foods, they should avoid them. The OP's information was excellent, in my opinion, but I don't have any of those symptoms.
So I'm with you. Some things need to be raw, cucumbers and lettuce, for example. And some things, like potatoes, need to be cooked. I think just being sensible is the important thing. We already know what's bad for us.

·
Registered
29,182 Posts
MarilynKnits said:

Gut bacteria are vitally important for good health. Though the microbiome has enjoyed some time in the spotlight in recent years, this connection between the gut and vibrant health wasn’t always a given. Only recently have we begun to understand that the complexity of our microbiota can impact our skin health, energy levels, mental wellness and overall inflammation.

Though there are many side effects of poor gut heath, one of the most obvious is digestive trouble. If you’ve been experiencing this or other symptoms, you’re probably ready to start your journey toward better health. Here are the first five steps you should take as you work toward healing your gut.

Eat a Low-FODMAP Diet

One of the biggest problems that can plague the digestive tract is the malabsorption of various foods. This phenomenon may also be referred to as food sensitivity, but here’s the gist of what happens. When certain kinds of foods are consumed, they aren’t absorbed adequately by the small intestine. This leads to a buildup of nutrients as the food moves through into the large intestine. Microbiota then consume those nutrients en masse, and their consumption creates unusually large amounts of gas. This is thought to be one of the main triggers of IBS.

You won’t know exactly what foods are difficult for you to digest until you try eliminating them from your diet. The term FODMAP refers to “Fermentable, Oligo-, Di-, Mono-saccharides and Polyols.” Eating a low-FODMAP diet means eliminating high-fructose foods (sugary fruits), gluten-containing grains, maltitol and sorbitol (sugar alcohols found in stone fruits), lactose (aka dairy) and legumes. All of these foods are known to be poorly absorbed by some people. After you eliminate them for a period of about six weeks, you can try adding back one food group at a time. This will help you discover what may be causing you trouble.

Consume Probiotics

Obviously, consuming probiotics is very important for gut health. How you choose to get probiotics into your diet, though, is up to you. You can take a probiotic supplement, but if you do, look for one that has more than a few live strains … at least six. Otherwise, you won’t really be promoting the diverse microbiome that your gut needs to thrive.

You can also get probiotics completely naturally by eating fermented foods. Homemade classics such as kefir, sauerkraut, kombucha and yogurt (if you’re not dairy-free) are all great options.

Consume Prebiotics

Prebiotics are the nutrients that gut bacteria often feed off of. Really, everything you eat can be a prebiotic, but there are certain foods that are known to be most beneficial for gut bacteria. Those foods include chicory root, artichoke, dandelion greens, sweet potatoes, onions and garlic. Be careful with the latter two, though—keep them at moderate levels, because they contain some FODMAP nutrients (fructans).

Cook Your Veggies

While many of us love the nutrient density of raw vegetables, it’s a proven fact that veggies are more difficult to digest when they’re eaten raw. While you’re sorting out your digestive issues, try cooking your produce at least to room temperature before eating it. You don’t have to cook it heavily—just a light steaming will do. This will make the food easier on the gut (and it’s in line with ayurvedic principles, too!).
This a bathroom tale, it made me laugh.

Attachments

·
Registered
32,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love tomatoes fresh from the garden. DH seems allergic to something in them raw. When I cook them for sauce or grill them it seems to kill off whatever enzyme distresses him. I found that grilling the slices enhances the flavor, too.

run4fittness said:
Very interesting. I have noticed that there are pro and con comments on cooking veggies. My take is, cook what I want to cook and eat raw what I want to eat raw. This way my digestive system stays happy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom