Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now knitted several pairs of socks on dpns and feel very proud of myself for mastering them. However, I always use the same pattern, it came in a set with needles. This pattern draws the last 8 stitches together to finish. For a change I would love to use the kitchener stitch. I have seen diagrams in knitting mags and also watched utube videos, but it is totally beyond me. Does anyone else find this difficult to do, or is it just me not getting it?? :( :( :( :(

· Registered
5,402 Posts
Every sock book has the kitchener stitch but I always liked the illustration with directions from Elizabeth Zimmermann's books. Have you tried You tube and watching someone do it?
Once you get the hang of it, it is not hard to do, keep trying.

Carol J.

· Registered
55 Posts
Rossi said:
I have now knitted several pairs of socks on dpns and feel very proud of myself for mastering them. However, I always use the same pattern, it came in a set with needles. This pattern draws the last 8 stitches together to finish. For a change I would love to use the kitchener stitch. I have seen diagrams in knitting mags and also watched utube videos, but it is totally beyond me. Does anyone else find this difficult to do, or is it just me not getting it?? :( :( :( :(
I found a video on the Internet on how to do the Kitchener stitch, but it went to fast for me--so easy to get confused--So I wrote it all down as "the person" was talking and then watched the video and also wrote it down row by row on another piece of paper and crossed off each row as I did them. It worked for me. Hope this helps.

· Registered
4,578 Posts
my way of remembering kitchener stitch is

equal number sts on each needle lined up side by side,yarn coming from back needle... with yarn threaded on darning needle

1) knit of 1st on front needle,purl through second stitch
2) purl off 1st on back needle,knit through second stitch

repeat these 2 steps to end

so I chant to myself k off,p through, p off k through...works for me every time

· Registered
139 Posts
That's exactly what I do - I love the Kitchener stitch as it makes a totally seamless joint
agnescr said:

equal number sts on each needle lined up side by side,yarn coming from back needle... with yarn threaded on darning needle

· Registered
106 Posts
using a darning needle
front needle 1st st purl ways
back needle 1st knit ways
pull yarn through these sts firmly leaving ON NEEDLES.
this is called "the set up"
FRONT NEEDLE 1st stitch is knit ways & slip st off needle
2nd st is purl ways and leave on knit needle

BACK NEEDLE 1st stitch is purl ways & slip st off needle
2nd st is knit ways and leave on needle

hope this is helps and you can my understand my instructions
cheers tadpoleandbiddy

· Registered
3,194 Posts
eshlemania said:
I took one look at the 6 pages of pictures and instruction on the kitchener stitch from Silvers sock class and threw up my hands.

I found this-it's simple and quick and I got it and understood it from the half page of instructions.

http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/daily/archive/2007/12/19/a-last_2D00_minute-finishing-trick-for-you.aspx
I was ready to give up making socks until I found this way to finish them. So much easier than the traditional Kitchener . Try it, you'll like it.

· Registered
358 Posts
agnescr said:

That's how I learned it!

· Registered
5,248 Posts
Carol J. said:
Every sock book has the kitchener stitch but I always liked the illustration with directions from Elizabeth Zimmermann's books. Have you tried You tube and watching someone do it?
Once you get the hang of it, it is not hard to do, keep trying.

Carol J.
It is worth the price of an EZ book that has it as the explanation is simple and makes it an easy join

· Registered
11,607 Posts
Rossi said:
I have been doing socks like forever and with each pair I make, I still have to have the kitchener stitch instructions in front of me. Here is a great site that is so easy to follow when doing the kitchener stitch. http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/FEATtheresasum04.html

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom