Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. I'm 3 days out with a knee replacement. Had a hip done 3 years ago. What, if anything do you knit when your mind is fuzzy from pain pills? I'm trying simple dishcloths.

·
Registered
29,395 Posts
I think that's what I will be doing too. I received a call yesterday to say I'm having my knee replacement on 29th August. Good luck with your recovery.

·
Registered
18,366 Posts
feltit said:
Hello All. I'm 3 days out with a knee replacement. Had a hip done 3 years ago. What, if anything do you knit when your mind is fuzzy from pain pills? I'm trying simple dishcloths.
First - I wish you a speedy and healthy recovery! Hugs sent your way. ????

How about scarves, simple afghan lap blanket. Sometime you can put down and go back when your "clear" headed?????

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
feltit said:
I'm looking at the same situation...will be following!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a knee replacement over a year ago and you are pretty groggy at first from the pain medication. I really didn't feel like knitting just watching TV. If you want to knit, I would do a washcloth or sometime very simple because your mind is sort of fuzzy

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have had both knees replaced, the second a year ago. When I was able, doing simple knits was the best. Scarf, dishcloths, baby blanket worked. The main focus should be on doing the exercises. Don't slack off as the return is worth it. I can now get on the floor without help to play with grandbaby!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Good luck to everyone getting knee replacements!! I had both mine done in 2011 -- 4.5 months apart.

So glad I did it -- best thing ever. I was also very groggy from pain meds (and you do not want to skip them) -- I would just nap a lot and the rest is the best thing for you, considering you'll do a lot of Physical Therapy as well. I would think the knitting can wait a bit until you are more energetic.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
A friend just had a knee replacement and she was lucky, not much pain at all. I gave her coloring books and colored pencils. She was also working on a very basic prayer shawl. Hopefully you will be back to knitting soon. I have to have carpal tunnel surgery soon and am dreading that. Definitely no knitting....

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
I hope all goes perfect with your surgery and recovery!

Following my left knee replacement, I had very little pain; but everyone is different. I was home in three days.
The PT is the hard part, but you have to keep going if you want to recover use of that limb.
The more you work it, the better it gets.
I've had to have a non-surgical procedure under anesthesia to help stymie more scar tissue formation.
I can tell the unseen scarring is not good by the way the knee gets so stiff.
And I was doing so well---able to actually GENUFLECT onto the right knee.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Lynnknits said:
I am going to have both knees done at once and am really nervous about it. Anyone out there have them both done at the same time?
Why are you having both done at once? I would think recovery would be quicker if you could rely on one leg to give you support while recovering. That worked for me and I think only one person in the hospital while I was there had both done at the same time. She was remaining in the hospital for physical therapy instead of going right home. Also, and I don't say this to frighten you, but the fact is that I donated 2 units of blood before my surgery, but it turned out that I needed 4 and that was for knee replacement on one knee.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
susandkline said:
Why are you having both done at once? I would think recovery would be quicker if you could rely on one leg to give you support while recovering. That worked for me and I think only one person in the hospital while I was there had both done at the same time. She was remaining in the hospital for physical therapy instead of going right home. Also, and I don't say this to frighten you, but the fact is that I donated 2 units of blood before my surgery, but it turned out that I needed 4 and that was for knee replacement on one knee.
Thank you for your input. I am considering doing both as they are equally bad and my doctor said I am a good candidate to do both. I am still working so time off is an issue. I guess I better think about it some more. I am concerned about how it will work without a good leg to stand on. I didn't even think about storing my own blood - thanks for that as well.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Lynnknits said:
Thank you for your input. I am considering doing both as they are equally bad and my doctor said I am a good candidate to do both. I am still working so time off is an issue. I guess I better think about it some more. I am concerned about how it will work without a good leg to stand on. I didn't even think about storing my own blood - thanks for that as well.
You are welcome. Talk to your doctor about your concerns. Time off from work is a big issue as well as having support at home when you are first released. I was fortunate to have my sister helping me and my DIL came every day to help with the wound. Also, I have a home with a bedroom and bath on the first floor. And it was my left knee, so when I was healed enough, I could drive myself to 3 weekly PT sessions. Lots of things to plan ahead for.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom