Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and i did! I know ur tired of hearing bout the baby top down but this pattern has captivated me for some reason. Prolly because i got grandchildren and im tired of making washcloths and want something out of my comfort zone. Anyways these are the rows that are giving me fits;

Row 29: K21, cast off 24sts, k38, cast off 24sts, k20
Row 30: Knit across
(21sts for front, 39sts for back, 21sts for front) 81sts
Row 31: K4 (k2, m1) 18 times, k1, m1, (k2, m1) 17 times, k6

can anyone explain how i do row 29 in plain english.. i know it looks self explanitory but thats where it messed me up.. i was off count by 2. Any help is appreciated it :) Thank u

· Banned
23,386 Posts
Row 29:
K21 = front,
cast off 24sts,
(one already on needle from the cast off) k38 = 39 sts for back),
cast off 24sts,
(one already on needle from the cast off sts) k20=21 for other front.
Put a marker after the first K21, and then again after the 39 back sts, if that will help.

· In Memoriam
8,019 Posts
Don't mean to confuse you more but are you sure your working from the top down? From the pattern directions I would assume you are working from the bottom up (at least for the bodice), casting off stitches for armholes and creating fronts (or back openings) and a large section for a back (or front) to be joined at the shoulder. :| Could it be a lap over bodice?

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank u for that.. it was the count that got me. I would rip it out but then i didnt put a life line in because i got cocky..should i just go on and wing it and call it a design element or rip it out to the knit row and start over. Decisions Decisions

· Registered
5,403 Posts
I did that last night and it worked out fine. When I got to the last bind off for the arm opening, I checked to see if I had the right number of stitches left to cast off and have the other front stitches remaining. If you have one or two stitches more or less, it really doesn't make any difference. In the pattern I am using, it is stockinette stitch with the 4 border stitches till the last 5 rows,which are all knit.
This is the first All in One I have made and I like it and it does start at the neckline, which makes it even easier. No seams.

Carol J.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
DesertMaiden60 said:
...and i did! I know ur tired of hearing bout the baby top down but this pattern has captivated me for some reason. Prolly because i got grandchildren and im tired of making washcloths and want something out of my comfort zone. Anyways these are the rows that are giving me fits;

Row 29: K21, cast off 24sts, k38, cast off 24sts, k20
Row 30: Knit across
Row 31: K4 (k2, m1) 18 times, k1, m1, (k2, m1) 17 times, k6

can anyone explain how i do row 29 in plain english.. i know it looks self explanitory but thats where it messed me up.. i was off count by 2. Any help is appreciated it :) Thank u
I am doing one similar, as you tired of doing wash cloths and scarves. I am doing the all-in-one baby top (2 buttons), and at the end of row 24 I have 111sts. on my needle as it says. Row 25 it says:
K18, cast off 20sts, K34, cast off 20 sts, K17. When I count these numbers on my needle before starting the row I end up with 2 sts. at the end. So 18+20+34+20+17 equals 109, so what do I do with these 2 extra sts. Marly

· Registered
1,235 Posts
I wouldn't stress over 2 stitches. I'd probably just bind off an extra stitch on each sleeve section. One stitch is not going to make one iota of difference in a sleeve. I certainly wouldn't tink or frog. One stitch isn't even enough to call it a design element.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
MASHEPP said:
I wouldn't stress over 2 stitches. I'd probably just bind off an extra stitch on each sleeve section. One stitch is not going to make one iota of difference in a sleeve. I certainly wouldn't tink or frog. One stitch isn't even enough to call it a design element.
I did that c/o row then the next row was knit and it says I should have 71 sts. and I do YIPEE.
Now the next row is K2, yfwd, k2tog (k2, m1) 15 times, so do I do this whole thing or just the ones in the bracket?
Sorry to be such a pain, this is my first actual top. Where it says m1 which is the best way to do the make 1? Thanks. Marly

· Banned
23,386 Posts
Marly said:
I did that c/o row then the next row was knit and it says I should have 71 sts. and I do YIPEE.
Now the next row is K2, yfwd, k2tog (k2, m1) 15 times, so do I do this whole thing or just the ones in the bracket?
Sorry to be such a pain, this is my first actual top. Where it says m1 which is the best way to do the make 1? Thanks. Marly
For the ---- early or small newborn baby
What is in the ( )
Row 27:
K2, yfwd, k2 tog, = 4
(k2, m1) 15 times, = 45
k3, m1, = 4
(k2, m1) 14 times, = 42
k6. = 6
4+45+4+42+6 = 101
~~101 sts.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
galaxycraft said:
For the ---- early or small newborn baby
What is in the ( )
Row 27:
K2, yfwd, k2 tog, = 4
(k2, m1) 15 times, = 45
k3, m1, = 4
(k2, m1) 14 times, = 42
k6. = 6
4+45+4+42+6 = 101
~~101 sts.
On the cardi pattern it actually has a *(k3,m1) rep. from * to last 7 sts., k7
On the one I am doing there is no *, it says in brackets (k2, m1) 15 times, k3, m1, (k2, m1) 14 times. So I am going to repeat the (k2, m1) 15 times, so in other words just repeat the instructions in the ( ). This is what I am now understanding. Do you pick up the yarn between the sts. in the front or the back to m1, or does it matter? Thanks. A lot of KPers are making this baby top, maybe it is too much for me LOL.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom