Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter brought over her knifty knitter to show me today, and I watched part of the DVD. I remember Granny's knitting board, but I never saw her use it or anything she might have made with it.
Do any of you ladies have any insight on either/or/and both?
I want a knitting machine eventually, but wonder if either of these items would be a good investment.
I did see a hat made by a neighbor on the Knifty Knitter and it was nice.
thanks,
Ruth

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
I had a Bond knitting machine and I loved it. I made several sweaters with it and other things like socks, hats and neck warmers. Unfortunately, I didn't have room for it and eventually gave it to my GD.

·
Premium Member
81,027 Posts
Yarngrandma said:
My daughter brought over her knifty knitter to show me today, and I watched part of the DVD. I remember Granny's knitting board, but I never saw her use it or anything she might have made with it.
I want a knitting machine eventually, but wonder if either of these items would be a good investment.
thanks,
Ruth
The Knifty Knitter is a brand name for the Provo Craft plastic knitting looms. Knitting looms have been around just about forever. They are, in my opinion, less portable than a circular needle and a ball of yarn. However, they are an excellent means of producing a nice fabric without too much by way of a learning curve. They can serve as a first step to knitting for non-knitters who're either too young or too intimidated to try two pointy sticks and string.

My mother did learn to knit from her mother, but spent most of her life crocheting ... when she wasn't making clothes for my baby sisters on her cheapo plastic knitting loom. Those were pretty skirts and jackets and kept my three baby sisters and my daughter warm in winter. Eventually, my mother did return to knitting with two needles, and she enjoyed it, though she never became expert at it. The knitting board was her stepping stone from lifelong crocheter to happy knitter.

Knitting looms - by whatever name, made of whatever materials, and with however few or many 'pins' - are not new. Buy one or make one - it can be used to make a knitted fabric. It can be faster or slower than two-needle knitting; it all depends on the ability and desire of the person doing it.

Knitting machines ... I bought one second-hand some twenty years ago and have played with it a few times, but can't really said it was all fun. I love technology and mechanical toys, but somehow machine knitting just doesn't do it for me. Maybe someday, not today.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jessica Jean, I know they have been around for a long time, and after watching what I did of the video, it did look like a step backwards, but knowing Granny had the knitting board, I just wondered about it. I appreciate your insight, thanks!
Ruth

·
Registered
11,991 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
You can do double thick knitting with needles and two balls of yarn. I have made reversible afghans that way a few times. Nice and thick. Takes longer to make though. Looms for me are when I want to do something different. I made a long rectangular shawl on the large one in the circular set and not going all the way around, and working back and forth. It was fun and different from just the two needles. But mostly I use regular knitting needles. The knitting board I haven't mastered yet. One end seems longer than the other so something is not done right on my part. If you have
your grandma's old knitting board try it, you might enjoy it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
go to youtube and look at loom knitting videos, there are many. I use the looms and I love them. I have a lot of different ones, from plastic to handmade wooden ones. I can make anything on my looms. Needle knit patterns can be converted to use on the looms. There are a lot of groups on yahoo that are very helpful. Looms can be used if you have hand problems...

Yarngrandma said:
thanks,
Ruth

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
HandyFamily said:
I only use the knitting boards for producing a double layered fabric. I don't think it is achievable any other way. But one would also rarely need a fabric that thick. Like here: http://kikikati.snimka.bg/hobby/moi-pleteni-tvorbi.312695.21878930
the brioche stitch is basically a double knitting..as you slip eo stitch then do the reverse on the other side..am making a hat that way..it will be very very warm.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree with Jessica Jean. I learned to love knitting by using the kniffty knitters. When I could no longer make what I wanted to make I taught myself to hand knit. My looms have been stored in a box for about 2 years now. I will probably get them out and teach my 8 yo dd to use them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi! I use Knifty Knitter to do all my knitting. I have made some very nice scarves & hats & lap blankets. To me, it is very easy. You can go on line to several sites for the Knifty Knitter for many ideas. I have never used a knitting board. But would like to try. My goal is to knit one day & am trying to learn. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have made so many hats and scarfs with my knitty knitter looms and love doind so. I'm trying new things all the time . I use the round looms and the long rectagular looms . It is so wonderful and peaceful to knit this way, I could never get the hang of knitting with needles. Cindy Lew

·
Registered
566 Posts
Please do not fool your self with the simplicity of the video on for the Knifty Knitters. Looms have really gone a long way here are a few books you should invest in, "Learn New Stitches on Circle Looms" by Anne Bipes and "Learn to Knit Cables on Looms" by Isela Phelps. You sure can do a lot on looms these days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom