Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I;m planning to knit a bib for my youngest daughter's baby- due in a month. When she was a baby, I taught her to answer my question of, "Why do I love you?" She would answer, "Because I'm sweet," so I want that on the bib. It took me a while to design it and I finally figured out I needed to just have one word on each line or it would be way too wide. Then I thought about having the top line be a representation of a bee (the insect), then the next line would be "cause" and then I'm and sweet on two more lines. This makes it long but that works for a bib.

Now starts my difficulty. I drew half a dozen pictures of bees, but I seem to draw all curves and circles and knitting requires rectangles. So I did a search on bee and knitting and pattern and of course I got all kinds of news about knitting and quilting bees. See? Wrong kind of bees. Does anyone have a pattern IO could follow to make a cartoony kind of bee that uses about 20 sts across?

I wonder if they'll let me knit while I'm on the plane going to where she lives.

I'm uploading 2 pictures. One is the excel spreadsheet before I put in the "every 10" lines. The other has the pictures of bees I drew. Use them if you like and if you want the excel file, let me know I'll send it to you. thanks in advance for any help I may get.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
What a cute idea!!! I think if you use the term "bumble bee" in google you will get tons of pictures if you select images on the left side of your screen. Maybe one of the other KPers can tell you how to graph a picture for knitting, I vaguely remember there was a discussion on that a few months ago.

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
This should give you a start on how to chart your picture. Or, you may be able to find a cross-stitch pattern that can be altered to the right size. Another thought would be to buy one of the embroidered bee patches that are usually in Joann's or a craft shop. They can be sewn on or could be attached and removed and added to a sweater, etc. after the bib is not in use. Good Luck with you project.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bumble-bee-3

http://www.gvellostitch.com/product/free_patterns/cartoons/bee_gucio.html
http://beebarfsblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/experimenting-with-design-free-bee.html

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bumble-bee-bib

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
First, let me say that I love your drawings! They are adorable. I can't even draw a stick figure. :) I will look for a charted bumble bee. However, I was wondering if you could find a cute bumble bee clip art, such as these free ones: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=free+bumblebee+clip+art&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PyNDUO_jIOit0QW5soDIBg&ved=0CCMQsAQ&biw=1271&bih=679

And then go to one of the websites that will make a knitting chart from any image you upload, such as this:

http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

Or here you can create your own online, instead of in Excel: http://www.tricksyknitter.com/pages/knitting-chart-maker/create-a-color-chart.php

I hope you find something that works and will post a picture of your bib!

Attachments

·
Registered
944 Posts
I would use a cross stitch conversion program that I bouth and put on my computer, you may find one on line to use free if you search. Scan your picture into the computer and run it through thr program. Do a test swatch of it before committing it to the bib as cross stitch and knit stitch do have similar sizing but with some pictures it just doesn't work right.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I take pics from coloring books & trace them onto my graph paper & use that for a pattern. It works for crochet or for knitting. I have some pretty cute bees in a color book that I have. Not too big. Interested?

·
Premium Member
20,485 Posts
harmony said:
I;m planning to knit a bib for my youngest daughter's baby- due in a month. When she was a baby, I taught her to answer my question of, "Why do I love you?" She would answer, "Because I'm sweet," so I want that on the bib. It took me a while to design it and I finally figured out I needed to just have one word on each line or it would be way too wide. Then I thought about having the top line be a representation of a bee (the insect), then the next line would be "cause" and then I'm and sweet on two more lines. This makes it long but that works for a bib.

Now starts my difficulty. I drew half a dozen pictures of bees, but I seem to draw all curves and circles and knitting requires rectangles. So I did a search on bee and knitting and pattern and of course I got all kinds of news about knitting and quilting bees. See? Wrong kind of bees. Does anyone have a pattern IO could follow to make a cartoony kind of bee that uses about 20 sts across?

I wonder if they'll let me knit while I'm on the plane going to where she lives.

I'm uploading 2 pictures. One is the excel spreadsheet before I put in the "every 10" lines. The other has the pictures of bees I drew. Use them if you like and if you want the excel file, let me know I'll send it to you. thanks in advance for any help I may get.
Darling idea, and really special between the two of you!! Love it! Have you thought about duplicate stitch...then you could "customize" the art a little easier. Just a thought! Congratulations on the new grandbaby, and happy knitting!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would do Duplicate Stitch for all the designs. I think it would be easier than having all the floats with the letters.
harmony said:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom