Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a doily I knit for a friend of mine who lives in England. I knit it for a Christmas present for her because I noticed she had lots of little knick knacks on side tables in her home and I thought a little doily would look nice with some of her things. The pattern looks intimidating, but is actually very easy. I used magic loop throughout only because I didn't want to start out with just a couple of stitches on each dpn. The name of the pattern is Elfreida and it's from the book Old World Treasures by Gloria Penning. I used a cotton yarn that came with an old knitting basket I got from Ebay, so I don't even know the name of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Gracie.
Yes, I like to use yarn rather than the #30 cotton, #0 needle that the pattern called for. I think I used a size 4 US circular if I remember correctly. It came out to about 14" in diameter, which was just the size I was going for. First attempt at lace and was surprised how much fun it was. Since each row is different, it never got boring.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Carol
If you can do the knit stitch, you could do this. That's the only stitch used in this pattern. There are yo's (yarn over), SKPs (slip 1 stitch, knit the next stitch, pass the slipped stitch over), and K2tog (knit 2 together). All knit stitches. Looks impressive, but it's actually very easy. Just knit this the same way you'd eat an elephant....one bite at a time :D

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((((( OOH, that's a beautiful doily - I love the center pattern!! I can't imagine how long this took you!!

As I don't knit doilies - just crochet them - I've purchased them off _____ and own several!!

Keep up the FAB and generous work!!
Donna Rae ))))))))))))
~~~~~~~~~~

Ruth on the GA coast said:
This is a doily I knit for a friend of mine who lives in England. I knit it for a Christmas present for her because I noticed she had lots of little knick knacks on side tables in her home and I thought a little doily would look nice with some of her things. The pattern looks intimidating, but is actually very easy. I used magic loop throughout only because I didn't want to start out with just a couple of stitches on each dpn. The name of the pattern is Elfreida and it's from the book Old World Treasures by Gloria Penning. I used a cotton yarn that came with an old knitting basket I got from Ebay, so I don't even know the name of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm very impressed.
My grandmother used to make these many years ago. She passed when I was six. I thought this was called Tatting. I had no idea you could knit doily's in such find threads.
This must be very difficult, however; I would love to have the pattern.
I'm afraid I have yet to see an area to log on. I'm waiting to hear back.
This is just a gorgeous piece of work. I wish my grandmother had lived a little longer, as I enjoy knitting, cross stitching, and just learned how to double crochet. Before I leave this world I want to learn as much as possible, however; I live is a very remote area and very few expert knitters and crocheters live in ourarea. It's a shame because it seems I find fewer younger folks interested in the arts. They seem to be too busy on the computer or dating... They are missing so much fun.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom