Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am hoping I have put this in the right place. firstly I am looking for a pattern for knit flat fingerless mitts, secondly, They are for a Christmas present and I would like to knit them using special yarn not acrylic, and have no idea what to look for. any help would be great, I am hoping that some of the more experienced knitters can help . failing that maybe a nice scarf. TIA

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rainie said:
What size and content is your special yarn?
There are over 700 flat fingerless gloves free https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#pa=worked-flat&fit=adult&availability=free&query=fingerless%20gloves&sort=best&view=captioned_thumbs
this is it, I have only used acrylic yarn, but want to try something a bit more special, do I still look for four ply , DK etc. any recommendations for something really soft and warm

·
Registered
91 Posts
The fingerless mitts I make are:
Cast on 35 stitches. Knit four rows. Then start the body of the mitt with a 5-stitch garter edge, then a 20-stitch stockinette body, finally a 10-stitch garter wrist. So it's
Rows 1-4: knit 35
Rows 5-44: Alternate K and P rows until you have 40 rows of stockinette (with 5 ribs of garter on finger end and 10 ribs of garter on wrist end).
Finally knit 35 for 4 rows for your two ribs of garter stitch to match the other side.
Leave a long tail to sew the mitt together. Leave a hole about 9 stitches from the top and about 9 stitches in size for your thumb.

I'm obviously not a pattern-writer. I hope this makes sense. The mitts are the most popular thing I make.

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts
Use a nice merino/alpaca blend, then they are very warm, be sure and tell the person to handwash. I generally use a DK, worsted, or Aran weight. Your pattern will tell you what size needle to use for the weight.
Ravelry has a lot of patterns

·
Registered
8,805 Posts
Title:
Bulky Fingerless Gloves on 2 Straights by Tempe Croke
Needles size 9 US straight (5.5mm)
She used 100% wool, but I have always used #5 acrylic Bulky
Approx 75 yards of a bulky weight yarn

Good luck. I've always had good luck with these and they are not fiddly.

·
Registered
20,920 Posts
What weight yarn? Thanks in advance.
Gaga Lyn said:
Cast on 35 stitches. Knit four rows. Then start the body of the mitt with a 5-stitch garter edge, then a 20-stitch stockinette body, finally a 10-stitch garter wrist. So it's
Rows 5-44: Alternate K and P rows until you have 40 rows of stockinette (with 5 ribs of garter on finger end and 10 ribs of garter on wrist end).
Finally knit 35 for 4 rows for your two ribs of garter stitch to match the other side.
Leave a long tail to sew the mitt together. Leave a hole about 9 stitches from the top and about 9 stitches in size for your thumb.

I'm obviously not a pattern-writer. I hope this makes sense. The mitts are the most popular thing I make.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Gaga Lyn said:

Thank you for the pattern, It makes perfect sense to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom