Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched Kristine Nicholes on the program Knit and Crochet Now. She sometimes knits in the front loop, other times in back loop, this on the right side of the work both times. When knitting two together she did the front loop, knit three together did back loop. Doesn't it make a difference which loop you use?

Thanks for advice, I've been knitting for a few years and this threw me for a little blip in thinking.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The difference is that knitting through the back loop gives the stitch a slight twist which is sometimes a design feature.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She changes just sporadically in the middle of the row as far as I can tell. Knits in back loop 7 stitches, does a ssk, the knits in the front loop for the restore the row. Just was giving me some confusion.

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
I couldn't find a video with her knitting. All I found was a podcast and skipping through there seemed to be no actual knitting taking place. Is there a link for one maybe? What appears to be random loop choice might not be. I read a suggestion to work a stitch that will be part of a decrease on the next row so that it's already turned as would happen if you sl 1 pw in an improved ssk. There could be other reasons including working a knit after a purl differently.

·
Registered
792 Posts
When you knit, you want to knit in the front right leg of the stitch. Sometimes you can get the stitch twisted and you have to knit in the back of the stitch to straighten it out. There are other times you want to knit in the back of the stitch to get a twist. I have also seen when knitting continental style the way the stitch is wrapped can result in the knit stitch with the right leg of the stitch to the back of the needle, thus you'd have to knit in the back to avoid the twisted stitch.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I knit continental & always knit in the front of leg unless pattern says otherwise. Never have any twisted stitches that I have to knit thru the back. I wonder if there is a different name for this style??

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
klrober said:
I knit continental & always knit in the front of leg unless pattern says otherwise. Never have any twisted stitches that I have to knit thru the back. I wonder if there is a different name for this style??
Continental combination or combined. Russian or Eastern European. They use a different stitch orientation.

·
Registered
15,745 Posts
I've watched the show & she knits the combined Continental method. Usually if she's knitting in the front leg of the stitch, it's because she's showing how you would do it the American way with yarn in the right hand. When she has the working yarn in her left hand she does her purl stitches clockwise which twists the stitch; so that's why on the next knit row, she'll correct the stitch orientation by knitting into the back loop of the stitch. Once you know how she knits, it's not so confusing.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
In doing plain stockinette it is not so much whether you are going in from the front or back as that you are knitting the right LEG. How you wrapped the yarn in the previous row will determine whether that RIGHT leg is sitting to the front or to the back. Where it is determines whether it is knit from the front or back. (Of course, if you are doing something other than plain stockinette, the above may or may not apply.)

·
Registered
889 Posts
For those of you who cannot envision 'legs' I usually describe it this way when people question my Russian style of knitting: Think of yourself sitting on a fence rail, your legs are hanging down and position either in front of the other. Now look at your knitting needle with stitches on it. The yarn is you and the needle is the fence rail. If you raise the needle to eye level you will notice that one leg of yarn hangs a little more forward than the other. It may be in front of the needle or in back of the needle depending on if the last row was knit or purl and if you are knitting back and forth or in the round. I always knit the front leg no matter if in 'front' or 'back' of the needle. With this method, I do not think in front or back, just legs. It is very helpful when you need to frog and put lots of stitches back on the needle. I don't take the time to make sure they are all 'going the right way' because if I knit the front leg they will all fix themselves. I learned to knit from Grandma and had difficulty with patterns written for 'throw' style. The book of Russian knitting was a gift after being told for years from professionals that I was doing it all wrong. https://russianpickle.wordpress.com/new-page-001/ Good luck and hope this helps.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you knit in the back loop, the horizontal stretch is greatly restricted. The first sweater I knit entirely in the back loop because I had no instructor and I did not know any better. There are two reasons I knit in the back loop. It makes the knit stitches poppet more and I want less stretch.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You mentioned k2tog and k3tog tbl--there are different ways of decreasing; some lean left, some lean right; there are ways of working 3 st together that leave the center st on top, etc. All this alters the look of the finished project and will be specified in the pattern.
Anyway, maybe that's what you were seeing.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
jbachman said:
For those of you who cannot envision 'legs' I usually describe it this way when people question my Russian style of knitting: Think of yourself sitting on a fence rail, your legs are hanging down --------------. Now look at your knitting needle with stitches on it. The yarn is you and the needle is the fence rail.
I like your analogy of sitting-on-a-fence. I would only add that your legs could both be in front of the fence, or one in front & one behind.
With the 'person' (the yarn) facing you, their LEFT leg would be the one to knit into, whether in front of or behind the fence rails.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
So glad to see you post this! I watch "Knit And Crochet Now" every chance I get. I've been knitting for over 50 yrs so I don't watch for the basics of knitting. The show is mostly geared towards new knitters and it drives me nuts that Kristen does this and it's never mentioned why. I know neither "leg" is wrong, exactly, but the fact that she switches willy nilly with no rhyme or reason makes me cringe. I keep picturing new knitters scratching their heads! I hope that this thread makes it to Kristen somehow and that she's more mindful of it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom