Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I cant decide, I am going to either knit or crochet everyone socks for christmas gifts, Knit takes me longer and the top does not stay up so well for me, crochet takes less time, top stays up, but not as pretty. Whats the vote?

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
I started out crocheting my socks and then tried knitting a few pair. I like the knitted socks better because they are not as thick to wear. The crochet socks are always thicker and make some of my shoes to tight when I use them.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Again, good advice about thickness, i do agree on that. I guess if i crochet the sock i would expect them to be used as house socks because they may not be so comfy in shoes. Then again, will my guys actually wear them out of the house. Hmmm. Thanks, still gotta think this out.

·
Registered
15,107 Posts
I never crochet any socks and now I see them not crazy about them. But since its for gifts..and faster I'd go with faster. now the problem about knitted socks staying up. Have you tried knitting in some elastic thread at the top of the cuff? Or here is an idea make socks with two different sock yarn. Do the cuff in the elastic sock yarn then switch over to regular sock yarn. Kids would like that since they now like to miss-match. OR just make socks with the elastic yarn period.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I enjoy both knitting and crocheting socks. I have learned with my crocheted socks to use the smallest possible hook with yarn. Instead of simple single crochet stitches, I use the "extended single crochet" stitch and it gives more stretch. The extended crochet stitch: hook into next stitch, yo, pull thru (two loops on hook), yo and pull thru ONE loop, then yo, pull thru two loops. There is an extra step but I like the results much more.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Everyone loves the socks I knit and a few have made remarks about how much they really like the way they stay up. I cast on the long-tail and k1, p1 for about 8 inches before I do the heels. No matter how you cast on, try the k1, p1 rib and I think you'll go with knitting.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow! I am getting some great ideas and advice! Thank you! I am going to knit a few with the advice on how to keep the socks up, I do have some stretch yarn, and .... One of my books has the crochet one with that smoother stitch in it, I will try that too. Thanks All!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom