Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

· Registered
10,239 Posts
I have knit socks on both Knit Picks metal needles and on Sunstruck. In the end, I prefer the metal ones. BTW, the only sock needle I have broken were the Karbonz. Everyone must do what is most comfortable, but I would not shy away from metal dpns. As for laddering-I find moving stitches around to move the needle crossover fiddly and annoying. I do tug the second stitch on my needle, and this helps prevent ladders. The other thing about ladders, if they are not huge, they seem to close up after wearing and washing. That plus experience. I have probably knit more that 100 pairs of socks. You are just beginning, so I wouldn't be too hard on myself. I'm in the camp that does not like Magic Loop. I feel that I am spending too much time pushing stitches around-very annoying. It probably helps that I learned on double point needles as a kid-long before the Magic Loop method was popularized.
How did you break the Karbonz needles?

Reactions: Jessica-Jean

· Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
89,149 Posts
Great ideas! Mine are currently rubber banded together in a clear plastic storage box. I am going to try the toothbrush holder idea in my project bag. Thanks!
By all means, get the rubber bands off as soon as possible! Most rubber bands ARE rubber - a natural product which eventually breaks down. Some just become stiff/brittle; others seem to melt onto whatever they’re around, and that melted mess can be nigh impossible to remove!

I’ve taken to making paper wrappers to keep sets together.

· Registered
29 Posts
By all means, get the rubber bands off as soon as possible! Most rubber bands ARE rubber - a natural product which eventually breaks down. Some just become stiff/brittle; others seem to melt onto whatever they’re around, and that melted mess can be nigh impossible to remove!

I’ve taken to making paper wrappers to keep sets together.
(h wow! I never thought of that! And, that's a good idea, paper wrappers. I'll try that. Thanks!

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
Top Bottom