Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a pattern for a shell border I found from an article written in 1995. For easier understanding I will not use abbreviations.

Knit shell border
NOTE: WORKS BEST ON BOUND OFF EDGES, NOT OPEN STITCHES.
1. Starting at right side of needle bed, insert 3 prong tool into edge. At main tension -2, knit 6 rows.
2. Pick up next 3 stitches and place at left of work and on adjacent needles. Knit 6 rows. (There are now 6 stitches on needles.)
3. *Transfer 3 stitches at the right to the 3 stitches to its left, pick up next 3 stitches and place at left. Push empty needles out of work. Knit 6 rows.* Repeat from * to *. To end, transfer the right 3 stitches to the left, pick up 3 stitches behind the first scallop knitted, knit 6 rows. Transfer the right 3 stitches to the left, pick up 3 stitches behind the next scallop, knit 2 rows, bind off. Fasten off ends.

I'll place a picture later.

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
Thanks for these instructions 30Knitter. I know I have the instructions for a shell border but I think that this one is different. I will have a go at doing it when I next do a pram blanket. It would be nice on a girls blanket or maybe even a cardigan.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This pattern is not the same as the "pie crust", which is a variation of the "worm" trim.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be putting up something I found regarding tension.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm going to try this as it seems to be exactly what I'm lookin for. Thank you so much. I don't particularly like the pie crust edging. Question - did you do this on a bulky or std gage km?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I'd love to see your picture of it. Sounds like a border that I'd use. I don't see why it wouldn't work on on any gauge machine.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It will work on any gauge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom