Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I've had trouble with keeping the tips connected to the cable. I'm trying to knit a bulky weight scarf using my new Sunstruck size 9 tips. I used the little tool to tighten the connection when I attached them to the cable. I try to remember to double check the connection at the end of each row but they have become disconnected 4 times this evening. Caused a lot of trouble.

I rarely use bulky yarn. Can this be the problem? It's Ironstone's Island cotton and I'm loving the way the it looks but this is making me crazy. My pattern is a simple K 4 rows, then 2 sets of (yo K2tog/ k across). These yo rows seem to be the ones I'm working when the cable falls off.

I don't think it's the weight of the scarf because it rests on my worktable as I knit without putting any stress on the cable. Anyway, the trouble started when I had only done a few rows. This is the first time I've used these particular tips although I've used the cable for other projects.

Any advice? I'm about ready to just go buy a fixed circular for this and scrap the KnitPicks. I do like the Sunstruck very much.

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,142 Posts
If I remember correctly, the KnitPicks sets do NOT come with a rubber gripper; Boye NeedleMaster does. So, when tightening your needles use a rubber gripper thingie as well as the key they do provide. Things you can use: bits of rubber gloves, rubber inner-tubes, silicone bracelets, etc.

Since your needle tips are made up of two materials - wood and metal, do NOT grip the wood when tightening! That may cause them to become unglued from the metal ends. Grip the metal ends and use the key. It doesn't take a ton of force; you don't want to strip the threads!

If they still come undone, e-mail or phone KnitPicks and tell them about it. They may send replacements. Their customer service is supreme; their quality control seems to be a tad lacking.

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Just as Jessica-Jean stated.... Try a little rubber for more tension. A very heavy yarn can be a problem, but surely not on something the size of a scarf. If you still have a problem, do call. They will replace... It could be that you a stripped thread on that particular size...then nothing you do, is going to help.....

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You two are the best! Thanks for such quick and helpful replies. I used a balloon to help hold the cable steady - good idea! - but it still didn't last very long. I'm thinking there's a problem with either the tip or the cable. I'll try a different cable next but don't have a lot of faith that it will work.

I really need to finish this thing, so for now I've switched to my trusty Addi circs. The tips are not quite as sharp as the Sunstrucks but at least they don't fall off halfway across a row. lol

I like that yarn so much and since it's on sale I ordered more to make Christmas gifts. I want to do a couple of quick shawls with it now that at least I know Addis will do the job.

I'll try the Sunstrucks again using another cable and a less heavy yarn. If the problem persists I'll contact KnitPicks about it.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
You can find the rubber for tightening in a fabric store or in the sewing section of stores like JoAnn that also have crafts. They're sold to help you grip a sewing needle.

In the same section, I've found large safety pins. Punch a hole in the little rubber pad and pin it to your knitting so it doesn't get lost and is always handy. Then you can use the pad to grip the needle and the pin instead of the tightening key.

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,142 Posts
lostarts said:
You can find the rubber for tightening in a fabric store or in the sewing section of stores like JoAnn that also have crafts. They're sold to help you grip a sewing needle.

In the same section, I've found large safety pins. Punch a hole in the little rubber pad and pin it to your knitting so it doesn't get lost and is always handy. Then you can use the pad to grip the needle and the pin instead of the tightening key.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Try resting your hands before tightening or get
another person to tighten them for you if possible. Muscle weakness is a problem with me and I learned that mine is from inflammation. The inflammation happens in arms, hands and neck and cause problems picking things up, opening jars, using scissors etc.. My hands didn't even hurt when this started to happen. I could not even cut a thread with scissors, I was like a child and the thread would just bend. With muscle weakness you may think you have a great grip but you may not have.

This may not be the case with you but if it is try sitting with you hands in your lap for a minute of 2 before tightening the 1st one then rest, then tighten the 2nd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom