Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used the knitted cast on, which has caused no problems when knitting in the round. However, I think it may be causing me problems when knitting flat. The ends of my scarves have always been flared/the cast on end of the scarf is longer than the bound off end. Is it because of my using the knitted cast on? (Same number of stitches.) Do I need to learn the long tail or another cast on? Until now, I had always made scarves for myself and I didn't care if it was a little wider on one end. Now, I am going to make some for gifts and I want it to look right on both ends!

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
I use the knit cast on as well.
It is a loose enough cast on row.
When you go to cast off, go up 1-2 needle sizes and then cast off.
It will make the cast off row a bit more looser and equal to the cast on stitches.
Casting off with the same needle size as the rest of the project has a tendency to be tighter, therefore narrower than the cast on edge.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Julesintahoe said:
I have always used the knitted cast on, which has caused no problems when knitting in the round. However, I think it may be causing me problems when knitting flat. The ends of my scarves have always been flared/the cast on end of the scarf is longer than the bound off end. Is it because of my using the knitted cast on? (Same number of stitches.) Do I need to learn the long tail or another cast on? Until now, I had always made scarves for myself and I didn't care if it was a little wider on one end. Now, I am going to make some for gifts and I want it to look right on both ends!
I also do a knit cast on, and i run into the same problem.I just tried a long tail cast on for a neckwarmer and it definitely has a neater edge

·
Premium Member
80,969 Posts
This is why there are multiple ways of casting on stitches! No one cast-on method is perfect for all applications!

In fact, I've begun using the crochet-hook cast-on as the base chain for my crochet projects! I can remember it; I can't remember the foundation-single-crochet.;) No more tight foundation chain! And it matches the finishing edge without the need to add a border.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Julesintahoe said:
my fave way to make the ends match perfectly for gifts (you know my scarves are all put on the knitting machine and just get DONE) but when you CARE.... cast on with a provisional CO... knit half the scarf....finish in your preferred way, picot, fringes, etc., and then put the provisional sts back on the needle and knit it the other direction, finishing exactly the same... this is great when you want to add a bit of fancy stitch rows or intarsia rows on the ends of the scarf, just for fun. this way, your ends are both ENDS and your CO is in the middle of the scarf and invisible.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
I use the cable cast on, and cast off on the right side in purl if I want the ends to look the same.
i used the knitted cast on until recently but always knitted in to the back of the stitches on the first row.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Everyone is different... I used the knitted on cast on for the first 40 years of knitting, because it was the one I was taught, and it was my default setting...

Until I started knitting lace; then I learned about the provisional cast on.

Then I started working in a yarn store, and was taught by a fellow employee to use the cable cast on for store samples. And I challenged myself to learn the long tail cast on. And other types of cast on.

However - I never had a problem with "flaring". Ever. My sister uses the long tail cast on, and she has problems with the flaring.

I don't know what I'm doing "wrong" ;) to not get the flare.

·
Registered
540 Posts
When I want to have both ends look the same, I use the crocheted cast on like Jessica-Jean. The cable cast on is like the knited except you put your needle between the stitches. It is firmer than the knitted cast on.

·
Registered
157 Posts
One can cast on with a size smaller needle and then change to the normal sized needle to continue knitting. Also, I have found the three stitch cast off alleviates some of the tendency to have a tighter cast off than one wishes.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
"......In fact, I've begun using the crochet-hook cast-on as the base chain for my crochet projects! I can remember it; I can't remember the foundation-single-crochet.;) No more tight foundation chain! And it matches the finishing edge without the need to add a border.[/quote]

That Is Brilliant! I had to go grab hook, needle and yarn and try this. No slippery, twisty chains to count, and I bet with the right length needle you can join in the round with no twisting either.
Thanks, Jessica-Jean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom