Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good pattern for knitted gloves for adults? Prefer easy pattern, because they are quicker and I'll make more than one. We wear out gloves constantly, and this may help keep our hands warm when doing chores outside! I know it won't help if you really need WORK gloves, but these should work if it's a day you just need to keep your hands warm, and they should make up pretty for a dress glove also.

Thanks for any help....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please do - I never made gloves, either. And never made baby bibs or booties much, until recently. I used to knit baby blankets and sweater sets when my kids were small, and have made sweaters. Think I'd like these small projects for a change. I want to make babie booties, bibs, and caps for baby gifts--there are a lot of them due this Summer....without fooling with sweaters. (I love to make sweaters for babies, but it would take too long to do several for gifts!)
And today I thought it might be nice to make gloves, since it's hard to keep enough of them around.
Would you believe I just gave away SACKS of baby yarns when I was trying to clean out some stuff I didn't use, and now I need them!
Thanks for your help....

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
there are several here: http://www.freevintageknitting.com/mittens.html

And I'm trying to find a pattern link... I made them for my husband last year, and for me last month. They are called "Irish Moss Gloves" - the pattern called for dk weight yarn (that is, yarn that usually has a ball band gauge of 22 sts over 4 inches) and a 3.00 mm needle - I used a 3.25 mm needle (size 3 US) for his gloves, and the 3mm for me - you could go up to 3.5mm or size 4 US, or you might be able to manage a 2.75mm/size 2 US for a ladies... I am still trying to find the link, though. I know I just found it in January, when I was wanting to make the gloves for me.... The hunt goes on. I recall it was one of the vintage type websites, though not the one I posted above (unless they took the pattern down for some reason???) Anyway - I'll post again when I find it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My favorite glove pattern is the "J Crew glove" which can be found @ allfreecrafts.com. The pattern calls for sport weight yarn, but I use worsted and adjust needle size. I forgot the attachment. The green pair is mohair, the second pair, also mohair but a bit heavier, serve as work gloves. I wear them all winter while taking care of my 43 assorted chickens, guineas and turkeys, all pets.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
http://www.vam.ac.uk/images/image/13027-popup.html
Ok, this is a similar - very similar - pattern to the one I use. This is the original, that uses two needles. *SOMEWHERE* free on the net is a version that was converted to knitting in the round. That is the one I found first, and the one that I used twice, as per my previous message above. I don't know why I can't seem to find it now, though. :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also found a paattern for glittens. They have a thumb and first finger( pointer) the rest is a mitten. I think these have the best ooption for me. I raise chickens and going out in the winter to feed and water them is murder on my hands. Just installed the scanner on my computer, off to try it out.

·
Registered
10,963 Posts
One more time, lol. The Irish Moss Stitch Gloves, knitted in the round, a pattern that I love, is a "Free Ravelry Download" - so, if you are a member of Ravelry, just search out the patterns there, and you'll find it. For those not yet familiar with Ravelry, it is a great online resource (in my opinion) for patterns and yarns, and it is free to join. I'm not affiliated, but I do find it useful. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've spent about an hour on Ravelry trying to find the Irish Moss stitch glove pattern you mention here. Can't locate it under "Irish Moss Stitch", and there are 178 pages of knitted gloves/mittens to page through. ( got through about 30 pages and then gave up!). Can you forward me the link on Ravelry or at least provide an more specific name for the glove? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
I don't think knitting eight fingers as well as two thumbs can be easy, regardless of the pattern. I saw a nice vintage glove pattern in the current issue of Pieceworks magazine. It was at the local library. The same texture pattern was on the front as the back of the glove, so you can wear either on either hand. But it's done flat and you have to seam up every finger.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom