Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I actually got a hat knitted in the round! I used Caron Simply Soft that I had left over from a pair of slippers I knitted. My problem is that the hat is too big for me and I am wondering what I should do. If I use the same number of stitches but smaller needles would that work or should I use the same size needles but somehow less stitches? Which should I try next time? They are fun once I got the hang of using circular needles - still need to master the double pointed ones (a friend stopped over for help with her crochet project so as I finished that for her she finished my hat with the double pointed needles so I didn't get much chance to try and master them. At least we each got a project done!)

The pattern is a free knitting pattern: Adult's Simple Knit Hat from Lion Brand (pattern number L20403) and it called for size 7 and 8 with Wool Ease Yarn. Of course I didn't have the right size so used size 9 and 8 for mine - which is probably one reason it is too big. But as this was an experiment hopefully it will fit someone at the fund raiser!

Thanks for information on what I should do next time

·
Registered
13,306 Posts
Most hats are 18 - 21 inches for adults. Put a cloth ruler type tape around your head and measure your head size. Then figure out the gauge on your yarn/needle and cast on that many stitches; i.e., if you're gauge says 5" to the inch and your head is 20", you'd cast on 100 stitches. I'd probably cast on about 90 or maybe less because the yarn does stretch and you want it to fit snugly on your head. Most hats are around 7 to 8 inches long/deep (that's if you don't turn up the brim), so you'd probably knit about 6 inches and then start your decreases.

Once you've made one to fit, you can usually make others as long as you use the same weight yarn and same size needle.

I also like to crochet hats and most of them start at the top, you crochet around and increase until you reach a certain number/inches and then crochet down until the hat reaches the desired length less about an inch for the border. Again, once you make one, it's easy to adapt about any pattern.

I'm making chemo hats to give to our cancer center so I've made a bunch of knitted and crocheted ones. It's fun, quick and easy.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Yes, using the wrong size needle made it bigger. Did you swatch?
Lots of people don't like to, and lots of folks do fine without.
However, it is the best way to know if you are knitting in such a way with your chosen yarn, needle, and pattern that you will meet the gauge and therefore finished size that you want to.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I use a no 8 needle which is 16 inches long and I cast on 88 stitches and just keep knitting until I have 7 inches and then start my decreases using dp needles. This a roll brim hat and nothing fancy about it . I use worsted weight yarn and prefer wool. Works great.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The good thing about knitting hats is it will fit someone.

To me it's all trial and error as these days wool seems to vary in ply thickness, even though it states on the label that it is 8 ply it maybe thinner or thicker than a normal 8 ply.

I have taken to knitting a mini tension square to see how the wool knits up, frustrating but well worth the effort.

I would change the needle size to make sure they were the right size for the wool's recommended tension.

Happy knitting.

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,329 Posts
Despite the fact that the ball band for both Caron's Simply Soft and Lion Brand's Wool-Ease state #4 and both suggest the same size needle, they do not knit up at all alike. Wool-Ease had some body and loft - boosted no doubt by the 20% of wool; Simply Soft has neither. I don't know of a more limp yarn than CSS. So, I'd suggest trying again, but either on smaller needles or with different yarn.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
I would do the swatch and check the gauge then adjust the needle size from there. When I knit almost always I have to go a size smaller on the needles as I tend to knit loser than most I guess. Just something I've learned from experience.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for the great comments and suggestions - no I didn't swatch (yes I know I should have but just decided to 'go for it' and see what happened). And Jessica Jean is so right - same number on different skeins of yarn does not mean it will knit up the same. I will experiment again and see what happens. There have been so many beautiful hat pictures posted by people here that I really wanted to be able to do this too - and in time I will try one of the patterns with a design that I have printed out.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
DeePickens said:
I use a no 8 needle which is 16 inches long and I cast on 88 stitches and just keep knitting until I have 7 inches and then start my decreases using dp needles. This a roll brim hat and nothing fancy about it . I use worsted weight yarn and prefer wool. Works great.
Me too: no 8 DP and 72 to 88 stitches. Then you can do straight knitting or ribbing or broken ribbing or.....

·
Registered
404 Posts
My first hat came out too big. I used it for a night cap. Quite few years later, I came across the hat and I tightened the ribbing by sewing thin elastic thread in so it fit and voila - I had a slouchy hat! Sue

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Knitsue said:
My first hat came out too big. I used it for a night cap. Quite few years later, I came across the hat and I tightened the ribbing by sewing thin elastic thread in so it fit and voila - I had a slouchy hat! Sue
Great idea - I had thought of trying that - if it doesn't sell in the sale I will experiment with the elastic

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,329 Posts
readingbeachbum said:
Just beanies comment reminds me of a remark made by my BFF years ago when one of her kids ask her who she was making the sweater for and her reply was "whoever it fits"!
Well, that's exactly the 'size' knitters of sweaters, blankets, and mittens for donation make.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom