Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!
My grandson want's a hat with the Superman Logo. I found a logo pattern but it is much too large for a hat. I reduced it by 1/3 and followed the same beanie pattern that I used for a Batman hat. Wow, it came out HUGE! More like a slouch hat for a woman. The only difference was the yarn -- still a worsted number 4 but different brand (to get the right colors). It was tons of work! I am a fairly new knitter so I would appreciate help in finding a smaller LOGO using the black, red and yellow colors and suggestions for resizing.
Thanks so much.

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
OK, I'll tell you how to re-size the logo that you have.
Ops, just a sec.

Sorry.

Ok, find some picture of the logo - in the net - and save it on your computer. Open it with some image-editing program - like gimp, or whichever you like - and picselize it, i.e. ... Well, the easyest way is: make it... smaller. Save it. Now resize it again, making it larger - as in make the print size bigger. You will have visual picsels now. See how many you want in a row - and just follow the colors. If the logo you started with has too many colors, just reduce the number of colors.

When you choose yarns to substitute, don't look at the weight range - this is much too wide. If the two type of yarns you are using are in the two ends of the range, you will have very different gauges. Either look at the length-per-weight if you are shopping online, or just take a thread of the main yarn you will be using and try to match the ... thickness of the yarns - they should be about the same if you want to combine them this way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I'm a bit of a computer idiot. I will ask my husband or son to work out the details on resizing the Logo.
The yarn information is helpful because as you noted, I thought a 4 was the same in all yarns. A New Bee!

I'm going to keep plugging away at this hat as my grandson will be disappointed if he thought his granny couldn't do a simple hat. Right!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Long ago, I knit a Superman sweater for a nephew. Instead of putting an S in the logo, I put his initial, which happened to be a B. It looked super.

This logo, being angular, is fairly easy to draw freehand on graph paper. Decide how wide it will be on the hat, then mark the squares on the graph paper.

Here's a site that allows you to print graph paper where there are more vertical squares than horizontal. You just fill in the number of stitches & rows per 4". It works well because there are always more rows than stitches, and normal graph paper squares can end up distorting the image.
http://www.tata-tatao.to/knit/matrix/e-index.html

Another option is to knit the hat plain and embroider the logo onto it using duplicate stitch (videos available online).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom