Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be jumping in way over my head, but my oldest grandchild is getting married this fall and I want to make the ring-bearer pillow very special. I'm new to Knitting Paradise, to internet searching in general, and from where I live access to knitting shops is non-existant.

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
SUSIEK16MA said:
I may be jumping in way over my head, but my oldest grandchild is getting married this fall and I want to make the ring-bearer pillow very special. I'm new to Knitting Paradise, to internet searching in general, and from where I live access to knitting shops is non-existant.
Good Morning Susie,

Start simple then work up to lace. The best place to do research is with "Google" and the library. A good solution would be to find a lovely pillow and make a doily (crochet) or knit then attach to the pillow.

Go to "Google", type in what you want and start hunting. Etsy.com and Ravelry.com also will provide you with interesting solutions.

Happy hunting and happy knitting.

:-D

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Try this site: www.knitting-and.com/homework/

They have lots of lace edgings done on 2mm needles with #10 (tablecloth weight) crochet cotton. I would use DMC Cebilia. It's a very high sheen cotton. Looks nicer for a wedding. Herschner's online store carries it in #10 white. Also the 2mm knitting needles. This shouldn't take long to knit, as it is quite narrow.

For the corners of the pillow, I would simply put two pleats coming out from the corners, one on each side. You should have a curved section in between, like bunting. Join ends in the middle of one side. It might take longer to sew this stuff on than to knit it. (lol) Knitting the lace will be easy once you get started. Just repeat over and over.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Susie,
Welcome! I am working on a ring bearer pillow, too. I found some ideas for knitted pillow tops at http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com, and ended up with a celtic knot design called “Cosy Cable Cushion” from http://www.coatscrafts.co.uk. It took a while to work the pattern down to the size I wanted for the finished pillow, and I still have to create the actual pillow, but I am pleased, so far. I like the knitted lace idea as well. I may end up doing one of those and see which the bride likes the best . . .LOL See below for pics of my work, so far. Good luck with your pillow. ~ lp

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the help & interest. Jesuislp, that pilow is stunning. I might just be going in a different direction, but bet it won't be cables. I always was planning to use beads too. Gonna meet with the granddaughter-in-law-to-be tomorrow.

·
Registered
52 Posts
SUSIEK16MA said:
Thank you for the help & interest. Jesuislp, that pilow is stunning. I might just be going in a different direction, but bet it won't be cables. I always was planning to use beads too. Gonna meet with the granddaughter-in-law-to-be tomorrow.
Thanks, Susie . . . good luck with your granddaughter'n'law and with your pillow. Post some pics when you get done. Are you going to do lace? I think that would be beautiful. The small pearls I used came off some beaded lace left over from my own wedding headpiece. Thought this would be a good use for them. I haven't figured out yet how I want to tie the rings on this pillow - hmmm could be a challenge . . . .LOL
Take care ~ lp

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been following the Knitting Paradise forum since the day I first posted. I have learned so much. In 1967 as a young mom with 4 kids under four, I went to Ben Franklin Store and bought a "How to Knit" book", a set of 6" #4 needles and a skein of yarn and taught myself. (I still have the book and the needles.) Until about 5 years ago, I had never actually seen anybody knit, and that was sitting the doctor's waiting room. Reading all the helpful replies on KP, I think that the key word is ADAPT. And when I actually get something 'lacy' finshed, I'll learn how to post a pix. Thanks for all the great information y'all put here!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been following the Knitting Paradise forum since the day I first posted. I have learned so much. In 1967 as a young mom with 4 kids under four, I went to Ben Franklin Store and bought a "How to Knit" book", a set of 6" #4 needles and a skein of yarn and taught myself. (I still have the book and the needles.) Until about 5 years ago, I had never actually seen anybody knit, and that was sitting the doctor's waiting room. Reading all the helpful replies on KP, I think that the key word is ADAPT. And when I actually get something 'lacy' finshed, I'll learn how to post a pix. Thanks for all the great information y'all put here!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom