Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many beautiful bears out there, but I wanted to design a young bear…a cub. And Honey-Bear Cub was born. He has a precious, sweet baby face with huge innocent eyes and a wee little muzzle and nose. He’s got oversized ears, feet and paws and a pudgy body. Makes you just want to squeeze him tight! And there’s a lot to love here. This cub sits approximately 13” (without those big ears). And of course, a honey bear cub wouldn’t be complete without his Honey Bottle! Hm-m-m-m. Maybe that’s why he looks so sweet…eating all that honey!

http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/knitting/toy/knit-honey-bear-cub-with-honey-bottle/38506 $5.50

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi
I am in the uk and would like to know how much yarn it takes to make this bear. I have looked at the link on craftsy but we measure wool by weight not yard or meter.
Can you please help me?
Thanks Jen

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, Jen!

The reason I always put the yardage on all my patterns, instead of the weight, is because different yarns have different weights, so knowing the yardage is more useful in knowing how much yarn you would need. Generally, yarn bands in the US contain both the yardage AND the weight. Didn't know that wasn't the case in the UK.

For my bear cub, I used Lion Brand Fun Fur, which is 40 grams (1.05 oz) per 57 yds. Not sure if you are interested in contrasting muzzle and inner ears or not. If you look on the pattern details which tells the yardage for each way, you could get an idea of how many grams you would need, if you are using this particular yarn.
However, if you use a different yarn, the grams per yardage may be different.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Lorraine

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
laurelarts said:
I love his bottle of hone!!! Just too too cute.... you have done it again Lorraine.
Thanks, Jean! Honey-Bear Cub's been out for awhile now...since December, he's been sweetin' things up! ;-)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you so much, that is really useful. Have also noticed some balls have the length. Thanks for the information, its great to get advice from more experienced knitters. Am looking at the same coloured muzzle. Ok off to look for wool.
Thanks again
Jen x

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jenuk99 said:
Thank you so much, that is really useful. Have also noticed some balls have the length. Thanks for the information, its great to get advice from more experienced knitters. Am looking at the same coloured muzzle. Ok off to look for wool.
Thanks again
Jen x
Yay! Glad it was helpful! Enjoy the pattern! If you have any questions while creating, please contact me at the email listed at the bottom of the pattern. Please post a pic when you're Honey-Bear Cub is done. Would love to see him/her. Thanks a bunch, Jen!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey
Ok each answer is creating more questions, hope you don't mind. I have not come across fun fur before, what shade did you use for the bear and how many balls if the muzzle is the same?
Thanks Jen

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jenuk99 said:
Hey
Ok each answer is creating more questions, hope you don't mind. I have not come across fun fur before, what shade did you use for the bear and how many balls if the muzzle is the same?
Thanks Jen
On the pattern, under "Materials", it states:
For Bear With Contrasting Muzzle & Inner Ears
• #5-Bulky wt. eyelash yarn:
Main Color: approx. 440 yds
(I used Lion Brand Fun Fur: Ginger)
• #4-worsted wt. yarn:
Contrasting Color: approx. 40 yds
(I used Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice: Honey)

For Bear Without Contrasting Muzzle & Inner Ears
• #5-Bulky wt. eyelash yarn:
approx. 480 yds

So if you want the muzzle to be the same, approx. 480 yds should be enough. I used "Ginger" in the Lion Brand Fun Fur, so approx. 9 balls, since there are 57 yds. in this color ball. Some Lion Brand Fun Furs have different yardages, depending on the color, so check the band. Also, this an approximation, since knitters have different personal tension.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom