Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone
I am new to the board.
I am an intermediate knitter and crocheter.
I use to make blankets for Project Linus when I lived in NYC, with a friend.
Now i live alone in Illinois with a heavy working schedule, Where I used to knit or crochet on the terrain, I am now driving.
i am struggling with the interpretations of the patterns from Bernat baby blanket pattern- Garden Pinwheels. Peculiar language I think.
I mostly just cast on the way I learned in 1st grade and the stitches are either knitted ones or purled.
For those of you who are experts, I knit the front of the stitches, and purl the front of ht stitches.
The phrase I am struggling with is this:

ABBREVIATIONS: www.bernat.com/abbreviations

Sl1Pwyif = Slip next stitch purlwise, with yarn in front of work.
OK, WHAT DOES THIS ACTUALLY MEAN IN TERMS OF WHERE YOU BRING THE YARN TO TEH FRONT OR THE BACK?PLEASE

Yb = Take yarn to back of work. THROUGH THE NEEDLES BETWEEN AS USUAL????

HERE ARE TEH INSTRUCTIONS FOR TH EFIRST 7 ROWS
PLEASE SIMPLIFY FOR ME- THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH

INSTRUCTIONS
Cast on 14 sts.
Foundation Rectangle: 1st row: Sl1Pwyif. yb. Knit to end of row. Rep last row 27 times more. (You will have 14 ‘chains’ along either side edge, which will make for easier picking up along this side edge later).
**Turn corner: First Half: 1st row: Sl1Pwyif. yb. K12. Sl1Pwyif. yb. Turn.
2nd and alt rows: Sl1Pwyif. yb. Knit to end of row.
3rd row: Sl1Pwyif. yb. K11. Sl1Pwyif. yb. Turn.
5th row: Sl1Pwyif. yb. K10. Sl1Pwyif. yb. Turn.
7th row: Sl1Pwyif. yb. K9. Sl1Pwyif. yb. Turn.

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
The combination "Sl1Pwyif. yb." simply means to bring your yarn to the front (between the needles as if you were going to make a purl stitch) then slip one stitch purlwise from the left needle to the right needle and then return your yarn to the back (between the needles to the knit position). What this will do is make a little horizontal bar of yarn across the front of your work in front of the slipped stitch.

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much!!! YOU are brilliant!
Why didn't they write it like that?
I rather thought i meant that but was not sure, and this is a jacquard pattern so I didn't want to make it look awful.
NOw i am going to try it.
I will let you know
Blessings on your fingers
Peff

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having difficulty with the same pattern. After the 27 rows it says "Turn corner". Am I now supposed to be knitting down the side of the block? Not really sure about the rest of the directions either. HELP! I have been anxious to give this a try.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Love your little poodle. I also have one named Abby. I forget what you call her color, but she's mostly black with some brown on her face and chest. We love each other dearly, and if I'm home she won't let me out of her sight. Sleeps just as close to me as she can get!

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
MissP, there is a yarn shop in Wheaton..or there used to be..there is a great one in Glen Ellyn "String Theory" right on Main street (north of the tracks). Last I knew they used to have an "open knit" night (I moved to Colorado from the Naperville area). When Glen Ellyn has it's big sidewalk sale in the summer..be sure to stop by...they always have some killer deals!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom