Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced an arthritic thumb; and if so, what was the solution. I've been given different options to alleviate the pain, but neither is appealing to me (removing a bone or fusing two bones together).
It's my left thumb and can be very painful depending on the pattern I'm working (either knit or crochet). No brace has helped since it catches on my yarn.
I'm in upstate NY--would appreciate any possible info or suggestion based on your experience.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
ice dipping...15-20 seconds into iced water. This helps your body move out the products of inflammation. do the dipping as often as possible. I use water bottles , frozen and switched out as they thaw in a dish pan in kitchen sink. This helped me with hand pain after weeks of warm soaks, rest, and OTC pain meds that did nothing at all. This gave me total pain relief in 24 hours ( I was told it might take a week).

After this, if you must knit, use a timer are ration your activity. This might help. To just knit mindlessly will get you back where you started.

I do not have knitters thumb, just OA of the hands. The ice dipping works with any inflammatory process..and works better than plain ice packs. the constant switching from cold to normal is what does the trick.

My long term solution for knitting was to buy a vintage circular sock machine, which I am learning to operate.

use hand lotion to avoid chapping.

· Registered
1,079 Posts
I understand. My left thumb is in the same shape. Dr just wants to remove the joint. I'm not ready for that! I wear brace at night and during the day if I'm over doing something and the pain gets too bad. I also use heat, cold and gentle stretching exercises. It is a struggle, but will never give up knitting, it's my sanity!

· Registered
12,310 Posts
I too suffer with the thumb pain and especially if I get on a roll with my knitting and don't want to put it down and rest my thumbs. My son brought me a little ball that looks like a brain to squeeze when the thumbs get to aching and I sit and squeeze that for a few minutes, use ice to take down the inflammation. I have lupus and all of my joints act up severely when I have a "flare", wonder if and ice bath would help that inflammation???? LOL Don't think I could stand that!

· Registered
1,925 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
I have rheumatoid arthritis and have had the "knitter's thumb". After cortisone shots, braces, etc, I had my joint replaced and am thrilled with the results. Since I was so limited in my knitting "before", the "after" recovery time was doable. It was about a 3 to 4 month thing. Don't be afraid to act on it if you feel you have a good Ortho Doc. I will say, it is very painful surgery, but once it is over, it's great.

· Registered
56 Posts
I have rheumatoid arthritis and have had the "knitter's thumb". After cortisone shots, braces, etc, I had my joint replaced and am thrilled with the results. Since I was so limited in my knitting "before", the "after" recovery time was doable. It was about a 3 to 4 month thing. Don't be afraid to act on it if you feel you have a good Ortho Doc. I will say, it is very painful surgery, but once it is over, it's great.

· Registered
296 Posts
Highly recommend messaging in Topricin every night. (It is made in Rochester N.Y. and is a homeopathic thing with arnica. I have no connection. Learned about this at a weaving/spinning conference and it has been helping for years.)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom