Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I have been knitting on planes all the time. I always amazes me, that even metal DPNs are allowed to take on plane. But if you take circular needles or plastic just to be on a safe side, then none will even question.
I like using circular needles on plane, then regardless where is your seat , you can always knit without worrying that you can poke someone next to you…:)

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Salutations

When in the US I had no problems. My friend that travels overseas puts her knitting on a stitch holder and carries her needles separately, just in case there is an issue. I think circs are preferred and cause less problems

·
Registered
151 Posts
I asked the TSA supervisor at our local airport last week and he said ANY knitting needles. I am taking circulars, but I also printed out the statement that is on the TSA website and tucked it in my knitting bag.
This AM I am off to France for three weeks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bluelake said:
Can I take my kmitting on airplanes? What are the rules now?
Over here in the UK, I heard of a couple being refused to adopt/foster a child because of a knitting project in progress was seen lying about in the sitting room. It was regarded as a potential hazard.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I fly back and forth from NYC to Miami several times each year - plus trips to Singapore, Paris and London - and have never had my needles confiscated. I have brought with me straights, circs, dpns - no problems. I have asked and was told that I could bring any of the above on board! I don't bring sissors - I use a decorative yarn cutter.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I have always knit on planes in the states and overseas and have never had a problem. Actually, I believe after 9/11, I waited about 6 months and then called the airline I was booked on. I do travel a great deal.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was told absolutely NOT going from Colorado Springs to Tampa and back. I believed them after I watched them take a pair of expensive needles from a lady, rip her project off them and snap them in two before they threw them in the trash can. Think it depends on how the day has gone for the TSA worker. I am too chicken to try it. I take a book!

I have never witnessed anyone knitting on any plane I have been on either. You people are lucky, I guess.

·
Premium Member
55,911 Posts
I'm not sure what the rules are now but 3 yrs ago I flew from Saskatoon to Toronto & was not even allowed to take a 1.5 inch sewing needle to do cross stitch. I had been told ahead of time that I couldn't take knitting needles.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I must be lucky!!Crossstitched transatlantic with AA ,BA and Virgin.Regularly on trips to Spain with Ryanair(ugh!!!!) and BMIbaby, each time one blunt tapestry needle in each colour and an enclosed blade thread cutter.Stitching in departure lounge does away need for Valium!!Lindseymary

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
lovethelake said:
Salutations

When in the US I had no problems. My friend that travels overseas puts her knitting on a stitch holder and carries her needles separately, just in case there is an issue. I think circs are preferred and cause less problems
I think this is a good idea if you are traveling outside the country. A well-known designer told us that she got into the other country.....leavin here just fine, but on the return trip they took all needles and the yarn before boarding.....lost a lot!

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I flew from Portland Oregon to Amarillo Texas on Southwest airlines. The Carry On rules said one pair of needles and the article being worked on was acceptable. But I was going to be in Texas for at least a month, and knew one set of needles was not going to be enough. Nor one knitting article. I couldn't get anymore in my checked luggage by that time, so I put all I had left out in an open carry on bag, with my knitting right on top, so they knew I wasn't trying to hide anything. Went through check in and all else without a word said. I knitted all the way to Texas. Love Southwest Airlines. Sue

·
Registered
824 Posts
I am surprised after reading some of these replies... My husband and I flew to Boston for a fall foliage tour the week of 9/28--I mean right after 9/11 and I was able to take my size 8 knitting needles without a hitch... everyone is always amazed that you can take these on the plane...I was able to fly this year to Victoria, B.C. and had no trouble taking them on those flights either... I always knit on the plane.. makes the time go by so much faster.

Blessings on you day, jane.....Memphis, TN

·
Registered
874 Posts
I always ask the TSA agents before I go through security. I have been asked to put double pointed needles in my checked baggage (which was not a problem, since I asked ahead of time), but never have had a problem with taking circulars through. Still, it's up to the agent and the airline & some airports have more stringent screening procedures than others. The agents have the discretion to disallow items they feel pose a threat, despite what the website says.

I've heard horror stories from people who have lost expensive needles and their WIP at security checkpoints. Lots of people here on KP suggest taking along a self-addressed & stamped envelope so, worst case, you can mail your needles/project to yourself from the airport. You won't have them on your trip, but you won't lose them completely, either.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom