Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi-sorry to ask an easy question, but...... i'm an advanced beginner knitter - have made a few top down sweaters and a few sew the pieces together on straight needles sweaters...i've read about knitting 2 sleeves at once, on long circs, (but treating them as straight needles) --makes it easier to make sure they come out the same etc...do you use two balls of the same yarn? and how do you go from one sleeve to the next? any other advice/comments? thanks!
ps
i'm from outside Philadelphia, pa, usa -wish i could visit all you UK knitters!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You use 2 balls--cast on one--then slide stitches down the needle a bit then cast on the other-- and GO---knit each as one --they will have the same length-number of rows and seems easier to do---
Good Luck from somewhere south of Buffalo, NY---

·
Registered
291 Posts
I knit 2 sleeves at the same time on straight needles. You need 2 balls of yarn, one for each sleeve. Knit pattern row for first sleeve and then again for second sleeve and the sleeves will come out the same size.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you are knitting the sleeves in the round you can still knit 2 at the same time using Magic Loop. U Tube has several good tutorials on Magic Loop. I learned Magic Loop on U Tube and it really was easy. Hope this helps and happy knitting:)

·
Registered
577 Posts
i have used yarn from the inside of the skein and from the outside of the skein to do two at a time sleeves...I also just made a few pair of fingerless gloves done flat and i used the two at a time method to ensure they were the same size. It is a bit tricky to keep the yarn from twisting but it is doable. Also did you know that you can use this method for icords as well I am making braided icord wreaths for package ties and if i had to do 8 inches of each color individually i would go insane...by putting the three skeins in a zipper bag closing the top and pulling each strand through a small hole poked in the bag i can keep everything clean and tangle free

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
chrissyf said:
i have used yarn from the inside of the skein and from the outside of the skein to do two at a time sleeves...I also just made a few pair of fingerless gloves done flat and i used the two at a time method to ensure they were the same size. It is a bit tricky to keep the yarn from twisting but it is doable. Also did you know that you can use this method for icords as well I am making braided icord wreaths for package ties and if i had to do 8 inches of each color individually i would go insane...by putting the three skeins in a zipper bag closing the top and pulling each strand through a small hole poked in the bag i can keep everything clean and tangle free
What a wonderful idea, thanks for sharing. I learn so much from everyone here!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Crafty Gardener said:
I knit 2 sleeves at the same time on straight needles. You need 2 balls of yarn, one for each sleeve. Knit pattern row for first sleeve and then again for second sleeve and the sleeves will come out the same size.
Ditto...I have done the same to make sure that both sleeves turn out the same...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
chrissyf said:
i have used yarn from the inside of the skein and from the outside of the skein to do two at a time sleeves...

Just be careful if you are using painted or random dyed threads as some of these are not reversible, ie the colours are abc, abc, abc. So long as the colours are abcbabc you'll be OK. Otherwise one sleeve will be the other way up to the rest of the garment.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Crafty Gardener said:
I have a silly question about this-do you knit them both the same? Most patterns I've looked at only give directions for one sleeve and I have avoided them because I didn't know what to do with the opposite sleeve. I might be overthinking this.... Thanks.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
knittingknurse said:
Crafty Gardener said:
I have a silly question about this-do you knit them both the same? Most patterns I've looked at only give directions for one sleeve and I have avoided them because I didn't know what to do with the opposite sleeve. I might be overthinking this.... Thanks.
Yes, knitting them both at the same time means 2 separate balls of yarn but length will come out the same...Easy once you have made them

Good Luck and we are looking for pictures of the finished item...Relax, Have Fun and stop stressing

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have only just realised how much easier it is to knit 2 sleeves at once after all these years of knitting. I thought it would be awkward but its much easier. I will try the inside of yarn and outside as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I always have done both sleeves at once. If its a cardigan I do bo th fronts at the samr time - would hate to have to cast off one sleeve and then do the same all over again!! Maybe I'm just impatient.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
I, too, prefer to knit both sleeves at the same time. It's the best way I've found to make sure the sleeves are exactly the same length without having to stop and measure the second one.

Also: on top-down baby sweaters, I usually stop to knit the sleeves BEFORE the lower body. I often add length at the bottom of a sweater for growth room, so it's easy to get the sleeves too long. I like to get the sleeve length just right before finishing the sweater to the right proportions.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom