Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on knitting a baby cardigan for my latest granddaughter. I've knitted many, many cardigans but always with a separate buttonband that needs to be sewn on. Not my favourite job, so I'd like to learn the best way of knitting a band along with the front, all in one piece. Rib, garter stitch, width? It would save me some time as baby is due soon, so I wondered if anyone has any suggestions. I would be grateful for any ideas! Thank you.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Many different options-I just finished one that had an extra 4 stitches on each front edge and was knitted in garter stitch ( place markers so that you don't forget to change the edge stitches). One side must be the buttonhole row-knit to last 4 stitches, k2t, yo, k2. Depending on size, space this row at even intervals.

Vickie

·
Registered
19,976 Posts
Once you've decided on the stitch pattern and count, if you're using garter or seed stitch you'll want to be aware of row gauge differences. A short row thrown in every so many rows makes a huge difference.

Short Rows in Garter or Seed St Border

eta I've never actually swatched to figure out how often to add a short row, I just eyeball it.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
GrumpyGramma said:
Once you've decided on the stitch pattern and count, if you're using garter or seed stitch you'll want to be aware of row gauge differences. A short row thrown in every so many rows makes a huge difference.

eta I've never actually swatched to figure out how often to add a short row, I just eyeball it.
Seed Stitch is very stable and doesn't need short rows. I use it all the time and the bands do not pull up like garter stitch bands I see all the time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all very much for the suggestions, and for the very clear video link which was very helpful, so I've saved it. I also found another video with another idea that some of you might find interesting. Same idea, just with an 'edge'. It might look nice on a child's cardigan.

As ever, thank you for your prompt help, now I can start knitting.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My suggestion - don’t put button holes in the band. When knitting is finished, sew snaps and on sides and add a nice button on top for decoration. Snaps are easier for the mom and the knitting part is easier for you. If you need more help with this, PM me. Sue

·
Registered
93,689 Posts
I like to do top down and seamless jumpers/cardigans, I like that the button bands are knit as you go ....the last time I made a cardigan and had to pic up stitches for my button band I wasn't happy with how it looked and flogged and done again I think it took longer than the rest lol
So I now only use patterns that have it included

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Good tip here, thanks for the link.

GrumpyGramma said:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom