Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to knit a spring sweater for a toddler. I want a yarn that is not too warm and can be washed and dried without fear of shrinkage or pilling. Any suggestions for a good yarn for this project? Thanks to all you experienced knitters out there!

·
Registered
26,796 Posts
Hi marycos. I find that cotton yarn is hardwearing for children. It's cool on a summer's day and warm on a winter's day. However I AM a firm believer that you only get what you pay for.It's false ecomomy buying cheap yarn after all the work it takes you. **** luck. Susan

·
Registered
26,796 Posts
Hi . I live in the UK so I don't know if you can get our brands as I'm presuming you are in USA? I like Sirdar, Patons, Jeagar (mailnly for adults cos it's expensive but good)

·
Registered
293 Posts
kpwatson said:
The cotton from knit picks doesn't feel very soft but washes nicely and really softens with washing. Also, Blue Sky Alpacas makes a great soft cotton. I have used both for many kids knitted items.
Blue Sky Alpaca and Cotton Worsted is great also - just finished another baby blanket with worsted. Picture to follow when done weaving in ends.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Frog Tree Yarn has a nice cotton/bamboo blend called Picaboo that's very soft, easy on the fingers, and washable. I'm making a vest right now and have made a little coat for my granddaughter. They don't sell directly to customers, but they have a website with a store locater & you can see what should be available in the store.

http://www.frogtreeyarns.com/Home/tabid/37/Default.aspx

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts
Another source is elann.com. They have great cottons and blends at very good prices. I am making a shell for myself with their Sonata. You have to adjust to knitting with cotton because it doesn't have the elasticity of wool, so keep your stitches loose.

Bonnie

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't have a specific brand to recommend but you might consider a good blend of cotton and acrylic...even 80/20 ratio is good as the acrylic will not only make it more machine washable and dry-able, but will lighten it up and help keep it from stretching with wearing which cotton tends to do. Again, you get what you pay for!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I reccomment Knit Picks Comfy Sport MARLIN. Just started a hoodie with this yarn. It's75% cotton, 25% acrylic. I like it a lot. You can machine wash and dry. The sweater is in the spring issue of Knit and Style. It's knitted in the round and will occupy me for a good while.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom