Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while packing to move I “found” a previous knitting project that I had purchased a while ago. I am now settled into our new apartment and would like to make it. i think it is a Craftsy kit. my question/problem is that I think I want to make it a little bigger but I’m not sure I have enough yarn. here are the details: “West Bound Car Coat” by Lorna Miser, made with Sprightly worsted yarn on size 8 needles. Gauge is 4.25-4.75 sts per inch. For the size I selected I have 7 hanks of 216 yards per hank, 1512 yard in total. I selected the size 44”, but don’t think I need the 48” next size but maybe a little bigger. It is a top down sweater. Should I just go ahead and start it, making it larger in areas that I want. Or should I swatch it on size 8 and size 9 needles To see if the #9 works so I can make it bigger? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
I haven’t been knitting for the last 6 months so feel like I am a beginner again! Thanks for your input, Sue

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Interesting questions Sue. I'll be watching for our experts to jump in on this one.

Reactions: dcgmom

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

You’ll be swatching anyway, so why not see what size 9 needles will do? The belt is optional so that could provide a bit more yarn for the coat.

Also one of the projects noted that it’s a baggy sweater.

Reactions: JoRae

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
If you have or can find a second yarn that is close to the yarn in the kit, you could use a contrast color for the button band, belt, even the ribbing. That way you can knit the next size up without worrying. If you don’t run out of yarn, no need for the second color, but if you do run out, you have your backup plan ready.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
You can use a size 9, if you are happy with the density and drape. You will still need a bit more yarn than if you knit to gauge. What is the yardage requirement for the size 48? The description says that the waist shaping is optional, so there is a good chance that they added enough yarn in the kit "to not add body shaping".
Since the sweater is top down, I would first incorporate the button band rather than pick up and knit it later, then knit the sleeves before the body. That way I finish up knitting the body slightly shorter if needed.
The suggestion to use a different color for the cuffs and button bands is a good idea. Or you might be able to order another skein in the same color, using it for the garter stitch cuffs and button band if you can't match the dye lot. The difference in the garter stitch texture can hide the color variance or make it look like it was planned.

·
Registered
15,450 Posts
If you have or can find a second yarn that is close to the yarn in the kit, you could use a contrast color for the button band, belt, even the ribbing. That way you can knit the next size up without worrying. If you don’t run out of yarn, no need for the second color, but if you do run out, you have your backup plan ready.
This would have been my suggestion, if all are knit in the same contrasting color it looks very intentional.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
I you think you would like to add another color, you could do a stripe for the bottom of sweater, and sleeves and a color for the band around the neck and front and belt. That would give you enough to add more stitches where you need them.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions. Yesterday I suddenly remembered to check on Ravelry. Sure enough it was there and someone made the XL with 7 skeins and said she had enough yarn. My plan now is to use the #8 needles as the #9 looked too loose and start with the XL size but will adjust as I go along. If I run short of yarn I will add another color for ribbing and button band. My main color is a darkish red! I will let you know how it goes! Thanks again, Sue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top Bottom