Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone has ever heard of this issue with working with yarn.
My mom has been crocheting for many years, making many afghans for all the marrieds and baby blankets for the babies, tons of them. Just recently she had a cough that would not go away, She went to the Dr and had a chest xray done. It showed a mass in her lung that they did two biopsies on, and the results were no cancer, nothing to be concerned about. We were all so thankful for this news. The doctor did interview her after to ask about her habits, being a non smoker, does she work outside a lot, what did her life include. She mentioned that she crochets most every day at least an hour or two, sometimes more. He then said that he has had patients that were knitters for many years, and sometimes they inhale small, very small yarn fibers over years. Your body does not know what to do with them , and they collect together in the lung, forming a mass. Is this strange or what?
Has anyone ever heard of this before. Mom is is FL for the winter, so this is not her regular doctor.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Wow - what a topic and I'm so sorry about the health problem your mom has! From the reading I just did off the net, it does sound as though inhaling fibers can cause
cough, swelling of the throat, watery eyes, breathing problems, .......but not in everyone.

I have watery eyes and knit or crochet every day for more than two hours.......now I'm concerned.

Let us know what more you discover with this issue, please. I'm wondering if it's just a certain yarn doing this......hmmm........

Donna Rae

·
Registered
955 Posts
I used to knit a lot with Mohair when my children were small. My daughter got a hairball equivalent on her lung due to all the hair fuzzies. It was removed when she was 2 and thankfully at 27 now she has had no other problems. I stopped knitting with the mohair immediately she was diagnosed and now only use in a room by myself and prior to knitting with I bag it and keep it in the freezer to calm the fuzz.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom